The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Help :( I'm confused when it comes to which feed to use (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-im-confused-when-comes-feed-70883/)

Kymbadina 11-17-2010 11:54 AM

Help :( I'm confused when it comes to which feed to use

The deal is, I have a 15.2 9y/o paint gelding who is built like a tank. Which is one quality I love on him(I'm partial to drafts) we got him end of September, with no prior knowledge on his feed/exsersize history. So starting from scratch we started him on rural kings pleasure feed, 1/2 scoop(1/2 of a 3qt scoop) 2x a day with 2 flakes hay 2x a day. Doing light trot work eh 3-4 times a week maybe more depending on work/school. He started losing weight so we switched to Purina's leading edge(equivalent to strategy), recommended by my friend who feeds it to her 4 y/o tb. So he was getting 1 scoop 2x a day plus we added 1/2scoop alfalfa pellets. Well the feed prices went up so to 12.99/50lbs. Rediculus, so now he's on the barn feed which I don't like one bit. It's oats with some corn. I was recently told by another boarder it's high in sugar as well. Awesome.. So Gunnar is acting quite pigheaded which worries me because the boyfriend is still learning and hops on bareback in a halter and just wants to walk around, maybe trot a few strides. I don't want him getting hurt/discouraged from an accident. So I'm looking for any suggestions. My friend and I are going to be buying extra hay to feed since the barn hay isn't that great and not much is offered. Any suggestions? He's on no suppliments, he'll have his teeth floated soon. But there aren't any areas that are cutting him. So that's not an issue. I was told to try brocks 14? I'm not sure. I'm going to check out a feed store Friday.. There aren't many in the area. I'm just trying to figure this out before I write his December board check so I don't pay for the board feed I don't like anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

luvs2ride1979 11-17-2010 12:32 PM

Get teeth floated, deworm him thoroghly (or do a fecal for worms), and increase his hay. He should be getting double that hay, or at least another feeding of 2 flakes at lunch. He should be getting 6+ flakes of grass hay a day (20-30 lbs).

Have them feed just 1/2 scoop of the barn feed twice a day and add 1/2 scoop of alfalfa pellets and a vit/min supplement.

Take his weight with a weight tape once a week at the same day/time and in the same spot. If he's slowly gaining after 30 days, then you're good. If he's not gaining, then add 1 cup of flax meal to his diet. Most feed stores carry or can order generic ground flax in a 50 lb sack. I pour it up into two big white buckets with lids sealed tight (it can go rancid if moisture gets in). Feed 1/2 to 1 cup per-feeding. Decrease the barn feed to just once a day 1/2 scoop and increase his Alfalfa pellets to 1/2 scoop with the barn feed, and 2 scoops when he gets no barn feed. He WILL gain weight on this diet!

Once he's at a good weight, keep him on 5-6 flakes of hay a day, 1/2 scoop of barn feed and 1/2 scoop of alfalfa feed AM, 1/2 scoop alfalfa pellets PM, with a vit/min supplement in one of the feedings. You can feed just 1/4 cup of flax to keep his coat shiney and add Omega 3's to his diet.

If he sifts out the powder (vitamins and/or flax), add a little water or corn oil to mix it all together.

luvs2ride1979 11-17-2010 12:36 PM

For a vitamin/mineral supplement, I like Grand Vite best. Most tractor supply stores carry it. If they don't carry it and won't order it for you, print out the ingredient list and find one that's close.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/pdfs/p...grand_vite.pdf

barrelracer892 11-17-2010 12:48 PM

I second what luvs said. Honestly, I don't think that $12.99 a bag is ridiculous. I pay about $17 a bag for Seminole Compete Safe.

Also, I would get rid of the corn. It's harder for them to digest and, as you said, can make them full of themself. I would also give him more hay.

I have a 10 year old Appendix Quarter Horse that's a fairly hard keeper and he gets 4 1/2 pounds of the Compete Safe split into two feedings. Once the time changes again and I can get off work while it's still daylight I will be riding more and will probably increase that to about 6 pounds split into two feedings, but right now I'm only able to ride on weekends. My 8 year old POA just gets a cupful of Seminole Gold Chance 10 twice a day as a little treat I guess you could say. He doesn't need grain, but I feel bad to not give him anything when I go out to feed them. They both get free choice hay since there's hardly any grass in their pasture along with a mineral block.

What brands of feed do the feed stores near you carry?

Kymbadina 11-17-2010 01:40 PM

Sounds perfect. My friend and I are looking into buying extra hay ourselves and storing it at the barn. Depending on the cost of that or the barn owner is charging $4 a bale for extra hay. I'm paying $30 more a month for the barn feed so by only using 1/2 once a day plus the grand vite from smartpak it's actually cheaper to use a feed like strategy which is healthier anyway. Thank you for the help, I'll get everything and start it in December!

barrelracer892 11-17-2010 01:49 PM

$4 isn't bad at all! At least for the area I live in. Good luck with everything!

Kymbadina 11-17-2010 02:02 PM

Also, called the vet. He gets his teeth floated Monday!
Posted via Mobile Device

Kymbadina 11-17-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrelracer892 (Post 819520)
What brands of feed do the feed stores near you carry?

I'll have to reply when I get to the feed store. I know strategy for sure and leading edge because those are the main two I've been feeding, otherwise there's a store mix that is a little less quality than stategy that I was feeding but he was losing weight. I only say ridiculous because leading edge was 9.99/50lbs and just about identical to strategy for 12.99/50lbs. I'm checking out a new feed store on Friday. I'll make a list of the brands then
Posted via Mobile Device