The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I may be a groom ! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-may-groom-70892/)

crikey and rolo 11-17-2010 01:41 PM

I may be a groom !

Hi :)
...Im new on the horse forum... and I dont really know how it works... anyway! :
Im only a teenager and I have been looking for a job at some stables for... ageesss now, and I have finally had an offer, I may be able to work at some (quite posh!) stables down the road.
I was just wandering if anyone really knew what the possible employer may look for in a someone, to work for him.
...What exactly would he want me to do, and what would he really expect me to konw etc. when I got to see him, what might he ask etc. ?

if you have any ideas please help !
Thankyou. x :-P

Strange 11-17-2010 04:07 PM

Oh boy, I think I might be able to help you here.
It really depends on the type of stables, but general work/knowledge would include-

-cleaning stalls (shavings and/or straw)
-cleaning/refilling water buckets, sweeping
-bringing in and turning out horses
-blanketing horses
-feeding, both hay and grain
-measuring out portions of feed for horses
-general organizing and keeping things neat
-general wound knowledge

And then it expands from that very basic list. Some barn owners like all the horses' hooves to be picked out when they come in from turnout. I'm a working student for a trainer on the east coast of the US and when I head up there in December I'll be doing all of the above plus working horses daily under saddle, cleaning out the trailer, doing trot-ups with horses to check soundness, cleaning tack (clean everything we use that day), among other odd jobs including helping to build a few cross country jumps, fixing fences, dragging the arenas, etc.

It's hard work, there's no getting around that fact, but it's worth the sweat and sore muscles.

crikey and rolo 11-17-2010 04:14 PM

Thankyou very much !
Thats all I needed really :)
I will probably just be working once or maybe twice a week !

...Wow, your going to be busy !!
...Good luck ! :D
x