The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Intermediate/Preliminary IP (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/intermediate-preliminary-ip-70988/)

Strange 11-18-2010 05:33 PM

Intermediate/Preliminary IP

I saw a class that someone was competing in labeled as Intermediate/Preliminary IP.

Anyone know what that is? I don't think I've ever heard of it.
I believe it was labeled as such when listed on the levels available -

USEF/USEA Recognized: IP, P

P is obviously for Prelim, but I've never seen Intermediate labeled as IP before, only as I.

VanillaBean 11-18-2010 05:51 PM

Maybe Intermediate Prelim?

MIEventer 11-18-2010 05:53 PM

It means exactly as it says :) IP = Intermediate Prelim

BN = Beginner Novice
NBN = Novice Beginner Novice
N= Novice
TN = Training Novice
T = Training
PT = Preliminary Training
P = Preliminary
IP = Intermediate Preliminary
I = Intermediate
AI = Advanced Intermediate
A = Advanced

Strange 11-18-2010 06:00 PM

O_O I have never heard of PT, IP, or AI.
Maybe I've just been living under a rock.

My Beau 11-18-2010 07:00 PM

That would be a division with an Intermediate dressage test & stadium round, but with a Prelim XC course, I believe

eventerdrew 11-18-2010 08:10 PM

^ exactly

equineeventer3390 11-18-2010 08:41 PM

what My Beau said! And it counts as a preliminary ride according to USEA points and qualifications.

gypsygirl 11-18-2010 08:52 PM

I have never seen the other half levels besides IP... Weird
Posted via Mobile Device

MIEventer 11-18-2010 09:45 PM

My Beau is right! It is a step up to Intermediate without having to go full Intermediate. It's an inbetween levels - so if you are competant enough to ride Prelim and have had a year of that under you belt *just as example* and want to progress to the next level, but aren't quite prepared for the full extent of it...sorta a stepping stone inbetween both levels.

So say I want to bump up to Prelim, and have been doing very well at Training Level, but am nervous about doing Prelim full out...not sure how well we'll beable to do it, or am nervous about going all out in the P world - so I want to take that step inbetween.....or say...baby steps......so I decide to do a couple of PT's to get our toes wet, before progressing all out to P.

Does that make sense?

Strange 11-18-2010 09:56 PM

It definitely makes sense and I understand the reason for having it, I've just never seen it before, lol.