The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Hold Reins or Let Go? BIG QUESTION (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/hold-reins-let-go-big-question-70997/)

Phantomcolt18 11-18-2010 06:47 PM

Hold Reins or Let Go? BIG QUESTION

OKay so I was wondering when you fall off do you hold the reins or let go? I watch english riders on youtube(not saying all english riders do this and I have NOTHING against english riders)and 99% of the time when they fall they hold the reins with a death grip and a lot of the western riders (again not saying all western riders) that I see let go of the reins as they are falling. Is it an english thing? The way a person is taught to ride? Personal preference?
I was always taught to let go of the reins so you don't accidently pull the horse onto you when you fall.

Again not trying to offend anyone western and english riders alike I would just like to know.:D

VanillaBean 11-18-2010 07:02 PM

LET GO! if you hold on you have a chance of ripping your horse's face off!!

Tennessee 11-18-2010 07:08 PM

I let go. I never understood why the riders I have seen in videos hold on.

Sunny 11-18-2010 07:08 PM

It's usually an instinct to not let go. Falls can happen so fast that you don't have time to think, "Drop the reins!"

Also, many people don't drop the reins because they don't want their horses running loose.
Posted via Mobile Device

mbender 11-18-2010 07:11 PM

I'll tell ya, everytime I have fallen off I unconsciously hold the reins. I ride western but I don't know anything about english holding and western letting go. Never heard of that.
Posted via Mobile Device

vivache 11-18-2010 07:12 PM

I think I let go. I've only fallen once, though. It's time. 8|

TKButtermilk 11-18-2010 07:14 PM

I've noticed that with English riders too! Usually when I go flying all I have time for is to think oh s*** and then its over. however I've had people comment on how by the time I hit the ground I'm already getting up.
Posted via Mobile Device

faye 11-18-2010 07:16 PM

Depends on the situation. for me it is instinctual, in the school I always seem to let go, if i'min open territory or on the roads I hang on!

AQHA13 11-18-2010 07:19 PM

^ Same as Faye. If I am at home or in an arena I don't wanna be pulled along. If I'm out riding on a trail the last thing I want to do is lose my horse.

equiniphile 11-18-2010 07:24 PM

I always want to hold on because I'm always a step ahead of myself and don't want the horse to run off, but I can usually tell myself not to hold on and it works.