The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Nutrena Safe Choice - Let's discuss! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/nutrena-safe-choice-lets-discuss-71041/)

EquestEquine 11-19-2010 12:35 PM

Nutrena Safe Choice - Let's discuss!
 
I feed my two horses Nutrena Safe Choice. My 19 year old mare gets 4-5 pounds a day and my 4 year old pony gets just a sprinkle. For the last two years I struggled to find a feed that would keep weight on my mare, keep her coat/skin/feet good, keep her from getting "hot" and one that would get rid of her dihreaha. Then Safe Choice came along, my savoir! Candy has been on it for about a year and is doing terrific! 28$ a month for feed and both of my horses can eat it!--Candy and Moe also get Empower Balance but a bag lasts a long time.

I've been hearing a lot about Nutrena Safe Choice lately. Good and bad. So I just want to open this topic up to discussion about your experiences and knowlege of this product.

-EquestEquine

EquestEquine 11-19-2010 12:36 PM

Wow, sorry guys, I just read all of my typos..im not yet awake..Please just ignore them!

myhorsesonador 11-19-2010 01:05 PM

I never did like it. It made my mare act weird. It was making her drop weight The more we gave her the more she lost. Also it made her "see things"

I now feed simonol feed and LOVE it!

I do know plenty of people that do use it an love it, its just not for me or my mare.

equiniphile 11-19-2010 01:08 PM

I used to have, literally, 4 different feeds for 6 horses. For my 2 thoroughbreds I used Nutrena Prime, for my senior I used Nutrena Senior, for our colt I used Foal Starter, and for Moma and Baby I used Mare and Foal. TSC had a major sale on Safe Choice though so I thought I would try it (I bought 20 bags....) and I can't see a change in anyone. It seems to work and be a good feed for us. Now we have....ONE feed rather than FOUR feeds!

WalnutPixie 11-19-2010 01:50 PM

My horse gets safe choice. I can't say much about it because I haven't tried many other feeds, but it works well for us. My horse has not been too hot. She actually gained weight when I first switched her feed to safe choice so I think it must have more calories.

An interesting note: I have spent a lot of time learning what kinds of flavors horses like and I always taste any new feeds to see how enjoyable they would be for the horse. I know it sounds crazy XD
The last feed I used smelled bland, but had a strong herby/oily taste that horses like. Safe choice, on the other hand, smells delicious (from the horses point of view) but is actually really bland in flavor.
We feed it anyway and the horse doesn't seem to mind!

CinderEve 11-19-2010 02:57 PM

I love it. Hands down.

Alwaysbehind 11-19-2010 03:19 PM

Funny Walnut, I really do not like the way Safechoice smells. I have also found all horse feeds to taste far more bland than they smell. Even sweet feeds.

My horses like Safechoice just fine though.

EquestEquine 11-19-2010 05:04 PM

[
Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 821782)
I used to have, literally, 4 different feeds for 6 horses. For my 2 thoroughbreds I used Nutrena Prime, for my senior I used Nutrena Senior, for our colt I used Foal Starter, and for Moma and Baby I used Mare and Foal. TSC had a major sale on Safe Choice though so I thought I would try it (I bought 20 bags....) and I can't see a change in anyone. It seems to work and be a good feed for us. Now we have....ONE feed rather than FOUR feeds!

This is one thing I like best about Safe Choice- You can feed it to all types of horses..within reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalnutPixie (Post 821816)
An interesting note: I have spent a lot of time learning what kinds of flavors horses like and I always taste any new feeds to see how enjoyable they would be for the horse. I know it sounds crazy XD
The last feed I used smelled bland, but had a strong herby/oily taste that horses like. Safe choice, on the other hand, smells delicious (from the horses point of view) but is actually really bland in flavor.
We feed it anyway and the horse doesn't seem to mind!

this is interesting because I HATE the smell of Safe Choice but agree that it tastes bland..my horses seem to love it though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinderEve (Post 821849)
I love it. Hands down.

Awesome, glad to hear it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhorsesonador (Post 821776)
I never did like it. It made my mare act weird. It was making her drop weight The more we gave her the more she lost. Also it made her "see things"

I now feed simonol feed and LOVE it!

I do know plenty of people that do use it an love it, its just not for me or my mare.

hmmm that is unfortunate. I'm glad you found a feed that you like!! What works for some often doesn't work for others!

Sunny 11-19-2010 06:47 PM

I love, love, love Safechoice. Sunny was a hyper bag of bones on her old feed, but now she is healthy AND sane on Safechoice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Peggysue 11-19-2010 07:24 PM

Just remember it is not as "safe" as the name implies and it is not a fixed formula so the ingredients can and sometimes do change bag to bag..


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0