The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   Deer shot on my property?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/deer-shot-my-property-71137/)

equiniphile 11-20-2010 06:25 PM

Deer shot on my property??

This isn't horse law but it's law....

We were coming back from a ride in the back fields an hour or so ago and came back to find a dead buck with a shot through its heart, clearly on our property. We hopped down from the horses to investigate and saw a flashlight, and called out. They replied and my mom told them they were NOT to come get this buck because it was shot on our property. He said he shot in on his property and it ran to ours. First of all, we live in the country so the lots are very wide. Second, he's not even our next door neighbor. He's at LEAST 2 houses down, and there's no way a buck with a gunshot through its chest ran that distance. So he went away and we called my mom's friend who's a real outdoorsy guy. He said to call the police, so we did, and they said it's illegal for anyone to be hunting deer with a gun this time of year unless they're 17 or under, and this was no 17-yr old kid. We got animal control on the phone and they're coming to get the buck right now. Ugh! The ignorance of some people!

Amarea 11-20-2010 06:34 PM

I have to completely disagree with you. My parents live on 40 acres and people hunt the land that is over half a mile away as the rest around my parents is residential. We routinely see deer fleeing those woods that are mortally wounded that come to our property and die. We have had ones with arrows sticking out of their chest, gun shot wounds to the head, etc. It's kind've like humans that are injured. They get an adrenaline rush and their instinct is to flee. I'm just saying... It's actually quite possible the deer was in fact shot on their property and ran to yours before it died.

equiniphile 11-20-2010 06:37 PM

It's probably a mile he would had to have run in the least, with a bullet through his heart. I don't know anything about deer but this just doesn't seem logical. There's a big farmer's field that separates us and our neighbor's woods, probably 100 acres. On the other side of this is our neighbor's woods, and then their neighbor's woods, neither of which are the residance of the mystery hunter. It's not even legal to be hunting deer right now!

Amarea 11-20-2010 06:40 PM

It's possible the bullet didn't hit the heart but was near it. Did you see a blood trail at all? I'm not tryin to be mean. I'm just saying I've seen things similar to this happen before.

equiniphile 11-20-2010 06:41 PM

^Yea I know you're not :).

There was no trail of blood but blood pouring from the wound over the animal's side

kevinshorses 11-20-2010 07:10 PM

If there was blood all over the animals side that would indicate that the heart was probably still beating. It is very feasible that the bullet hit the lungs instead of the heart. Animals shot in the lungs can travel quite a ways before they die. If it's not in season then it's a moot point anyway.

SparksFly 11-20-2010 07:18 PM

Deer can sure as heck run that far if they aren't hit in the heart. Matter of fact, the last deer I killed we walked MORE than a mile to find it. And trust me..following a blood trail through the woods that long is not fun.

equiniphile 11-20-2010 07:20 PM

^Wow, that doesn't sound too fun.

Like kevin said, it doesn't matter since it's not in season anyway. The animal control is back there now....

equiniphile 11-20-2010 07:49 PM

Got the prognosis.

He will be fined $1000 minimum, and liscense suspended for 5 years. Geez.

WickedNag 11-20-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 823023)
Got the prognosis.

He will be fined $1000 minimum, and liscense suspended for 5 years. Geez.

This can not possibly be true. First of all, he would have to be charged and than have a trial. They will have to match this person's gun to the bullet and it will take more time than just the few hours since you made the first post.

Secondly youth deer season just opened today and they must be hunting with an adult. So for the adult to answer or call out imo would be very appropriate. For your mom to have this deer shot and not get cleaned is a terrible waste. They need to be gutted ASAP.

In doing some research you will see a deer that has been mortally hit can travel 200 yards quite easily.

I think this outcome was terrible. Everything should have been researched before calling anyone. Your mom definitely over reacted and should have talked to the hunter and found out what was going on before involving anyone else.

But again there is no way there could be a fine in place already. The hunter has not even been found guilty and he is innocent in the eyes of the law until he has had a jury trial. :?