The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Best Western Round Pads (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/best-western-round-pads-71146/)

SparksFly 11-20-2010 07:33 PM

Best Western Round Pads

I've been having a problem with a saddle slipping on my gelding Corn lately.

I know his saddle fits because it was checked just last month by a fitter.

Right now when I use my barrel saddle I am riding him in a fleece round pad that I bought for around $20. Needless to say, I got what I paid for.

I am looking for the best brand of barrel pads. I was looking at the Abetta ones on HorseLoverz and I really like them because they are usually a great brand and came in a lot of colors. Anyone have any experience with these? It really needs to be under $50 if possible, but if finding a good one for that price is not possible, then I can go higher.

Fifty 11-21-2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SparksFly (Post 823000)
I've been having a problem with a saddle slipping on my gelding Corn lately.

I know his saddle fits because it was checked just last month by a fitter.

Right now when I use my barrel saddle I am riding him in a fleece round pad that I bought for around $20. Needless to say, I got what I paid for.

I am looking for the best brand of barrel pads. I was looking at the Abetta ones on HorseLoverz and I really like them because they are usually a great brand and came in a lot of colors. Anyone have any experience with these? It really needs to be under $50 if possible, but if finding a good one for that price is not possible, then I can go higher.

It would be really hard to get a nice saddle pad for under 50$ new... I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm sure there are some fine saddle pads out there in that price range; however, If you want a really nice pad that will last for a long time and treat your horse's back good, then you are looking at more than 100$. I really like Tod Slones and 5 star pads, they are very very nice. If not, just look for 100% wool pads. I believe wool is the best, it's natural and wicks away sweat while keeping your horse's back well protected. You can look for used Tod Slones or 5 stars for cheaper. Since they are meant to last a long time, don't be afraid to look at used, but if you buy one, make sure you clean it out first. Also, if you have a problem with your saddle slipping backwards, it might because it is just "falling into place". See, most riders place the saddle too far forward, so while riding, the saddle slips back to it's rightful position, where it's suppose to be and lays comfortably. I'm not saying you do, but it's a possibility. Try putting your saddle on with the pad and everything, and just kind of wiggle it back and forth with a little pressure pushing it towards the horses butt. Then you can cinch up! This way, the saddle will lay into place before you ride!

SparksFly 11-21-2010 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifty (Post 823257)
It would be really hard to get a nice saddle pad for under 50$ new... I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm sure there are some fine saddle pads out there in that price range; however, If you want a really nice pad that will last for a long time and treat your horse's back good, then you are looking at more than 100$. I really like Tod Slones and 5 star pads, they are very very nice. If not, just look for 100% wool pads. I believe wool is the best, it's natural and wicks away sweat while keeping your horse's back well protected. You can look for used Tod Slones or 5 stars for cheaper. Since they are meant to last a long time, don't be afraid to look at used, but if you buy one, make sure you clean it out first. Also, if you have a problem with your saddle slipping backwards, it might because it is just "falling into place". See, most riders place the saddle too far forward, so while riding, the saddle slips back to it's rightful position, where it's suppose to be and lays comfortably. I'm not saying you do, but it's a possibility. Try putting your saddle on with the pad and everything, and just kind of wiggle it back and forth with a little pressure pushing it towards the horses butt. Then you can cinch up! This way, the saddle will lay into place before you ride!

I know it's hard. My other two saddle pads are Charmayne James barrel pads that costed me $100+. I was just wondering if there were any out there that were under $50.

The saddle's fine. :) It's the fact that the bottom of my pad and the fleece of my saddle are the same material and it is causing them to slip.

smrobs 11-21-2010 12:47 AM

Wait, wait. Is your entire pad fleece or is it a fleece bottom with a woven or canvas top?

SparksFly 11-21-2010 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 823281)
Wait, wait. Is your entire pad fleece or is it a fleece bottom with a woven or canvas top?

The ENTIRE thing is fleece minus some wear pads.

I bought it for the color. Shame on me, right?

Fifty 11-21-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SparksFly (Post 823275)
I know it's hard. My other two saddle pads are Charmayne James barrel pads that costed me $100+. I was just wondering if there were any out there that were under $50.

The saddle's fine. :) It's the fact that the bottom of my pad and the fleece of my saddle are the same material and it is causing them to slip.

I've heard about the SMX air ride pads slipping a lot.

SparksFly 11-21-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifty (Post 823456)
I've heard about the SMX air ride pads slipping a lot.

That's not the ones that are slipping.

It is this cheap fleece one that I bought.

smrobs 11-21-2010 08:23 PM

You really shouldn't have to go expensive for your next one unless you just want to. This is the style that I buy and haven't had a problem with them yet.
Economy Navajo Square Western Saddle Pad - Horse.com
but they also have them in round skirted.
Economy Navajo Round Western Saddle Pad - Horse.com.

I have been impressed with the Mustang brand so far, especially for the price.

ETA: This site has more color options in the same brand.
http://www.chicksaddlery.com/Merchan...&Category_Code=

SparksFly 11-21-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 823880)
You really shouldn't have to go expensive for your next one unless you just want to. This is the style that I buy and haven't had a problem with them yet.
Economy Navajo Square Western Saddle Pad - Horse.com
but they also have them in round skirted.
Economy Navajo Round Western Saddle Pad - Horse.com.

I have been impressed with the Mustang brand so far, especially for the price.

ETA: This site has more color options in the same brand.
Apache Southwestern Barrel Pad: Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com=

Those are perfect. Thank you, ma'am! :)

smrobs 11-21-2010 09:04 PM

You're more than welcome. :D