The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Who Knows Birds? (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/who-knows-birds-71237/)

Dreamcatcher Arabians 11-22-2010 01:28 AM

Who Knows Birds?

1 Attachment(s)
This is supposed to be some kind of game hen, possibly she's moulting. Anybody know what in the world she is?

mbender 11-22-2010 06:33 AM

Where are you from? Looks like a cross between a chicken and raven. Is the beak thick or is it my eyes?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 11-22-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbender (Post 824268)
Where are you from? Looks like a cross between a chicken and raven. Is the beak thick or is it my eyes?
Posted via Mobile Device

LOL, we're in Oklahoma. The beak itself isn't all that thick, but she does have a fleshy protrubernce above her nostrils.

I thought she looked like a cross between a turkey and a vulture and pterodactyl or something prehistoric.

mbender 11-22-2010 09:27 AM

How big is it? That's what I thought is a vulture. Where was it when you saw it? Could be a turkey vulture?.
Posted via Mobile Device

poultrygirl 11-22-2010 10:51 AM

She could have some Old English Game in there somewhere. You don't exactly have a lot of plumage to use for clues. I can't tell by the pic...but is she a bantam size? Or standard? And is she clean legged? It looks that way in the pic. I'm guessing she's a game crossed with who knows what. Yeah, her comb's kinda ratty too. She looks like she's had a rough couple of weeks. She'll molt and and look good as new.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 11-23-2010 12:08 AM

I don't really know anything about her. I saw her picture and someone said they got her at an auction because they felt sorry for her. They didn't know what she was either.

I thought she looked a bit prehistoric in the shape she's in, was just wondering if anybody might have actually know what she is. I'm in OK, don't know if we even have turkey vultures or turkey buzzards, though I know we have wild turkeys.

mbender 11-23-2010 07:02 AM

Well if she was in a auction I highly doubt its a vulture. I tried for 2 hrs yesterday to figure it out. Hit a brick wall. Weird. Could call her Barney, the purple dino? Haha. If she starts to lay eggs and they hatch without being with a male then we know she's prehistoric! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

WickedNag 11-23-2010 07:53 AM

I think you have a chicken. Not sure what kind of chicken but a chicken :) I would contact the link below and send them a picture. I am sure they can help you identify it. Chicken Breeds Chart - Back Yard Chickens

Dreamcatcher Arabians 11-23-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedNag (Post 825723)
I think you have a chicken. Not sure what kind of chicken but a chicken :) I would contact the link below and send them a picture. I am sure they can help you identify it. Chicken Breeds Chart - Back Yard Chickens

HAH! Now we've come full circle. BYC is where the guy who bought the bird first posted the pic. So far nobody has figured it out. Closest guesses have been that she might be a chicken and we won't know until she's back in her full glory after moulting. :lol:

GreyRay 11-23-2010 02:32 PM

Tell us if she starts laying green eggs.
Posted via Mobile Device