The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Warmblood Mare - New at this! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/warmblood-mare-new-71248/)

TranquilAcresFarm 11-22-2010 09:18 AM

Warmblood Mare - New at this!

1 Attachment(s)
Hello All,
I have been riding for 30 years, Quarterhorses and rodeo events, however I am getting into warmbloods and gaited horses and trying dressage for the first time. I am nervous. This girl is just under 17hh and very sweet but intimidating...took her out to brush her and she is herd bound right now and I have to work on that. But I am unfamiliar with English saddle so between that and new horse..YIKES! ANY ADVICE????:lol:

GeminiJumper 11-22-2010 11:09 AM

She's a beautiful mare!! I would DEFINITELY recommend you get some lessons from a qualified dressage instructor. Even though you have been riding for 30 years western, taking lessons is not such a bad idea since there are a few differences and plus, you sound a little nervous so having someone who knows what they are doing will really help you out and send you in the right direction. :) Right now on your own, though, I would working getting to know her, watch her and learn her personality, what she likes to do, and how she reacts to things. I would also work on some ground work and manners just to get her to respect your personal space and look to you as the leader, not her. :) Good luck! Keep us updated :)

Cheshire 11-22-2010 11:35 AM

Gemini has given you great advice. An instructor will be extremely beneficial to you at this point! As you know, we never stop learning...especially when beginning a new discipline, lol.
Your mare looks like a sweetheart.

Ak1 11-22-2010 11:40 AM

Trainquil Acres Farm, I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU! I love wormbloods, and I think you'lll have a blast! The first thing that I would do, is get fitted tack and find an instructor/some one with ALOT of knowledge. If you're looking to get into dressage, I would recommend a dressage trainer.. They'll be able to also analyze the horse and see what she's capable of and be able to find some really good ways to work on what she has trouble with so you're both improving- you with you're English, and her with her Dressage. Where is she from? How old? What experience does she have? Has she been to shows yet? Also, props to you for trying something new after that long!!! She's beautiful!
Hope this helps

haleylvsshammy 11-23-2010 12:33 AM

I agree with everybody else...
I also agree that she is GORGEOUS!!!

equiniphile 11-23-2010 12:46 AM

That head and neck is going to be STUNNING in dressage!!!

tinyliny 11-23-2010 02:28 AM

She is STILL just a horse, so relax on that. She is truly stunning, I agree.
I used to ride a warmblood/tb cross. It is often said that Warmbloods take a little longer to warm up. It might be harder to motivate her to move, but once she does, her engine might be pretty big compared to a qh. You will have to get used to a lot bigger motion in the trot and canter, but just because it's big doesn't mean that she is running away with you. it's just her normal rythm. Kind of like how the first time you get on a gaited horse and they move out with their inherent energy it can be a bit intimidating, but it's just them being normal, not out of control

TranquilAcresFarm 11-23-2010 08:42 AM

Thank you!!

2 Attachment(s)
Wow you all made me feel so much better! :wink: I am going to work with someone to help me with her and the other two horses I just got for safety reasons. Don't get me wrong, I used to be fearless, however I have Fibromyalgia and it takes me months to heal so I am a cautious rider now. I also just got a 16.1 Appendix paint and another 16.2 TWH that does tricks! So I have a lot going on at once!
Thanks again everyone
AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

GeminiJumper 11-23-2010 12:44 PM

They're cuties! :)