The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Fjords (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/fjords-71277/)

Karen of Alsea 11-22-2010 03:34 PM

Fjords

Does any one have some information on the Fjords as to temperament, train-ability, needs, personality. I am very much attracted to them ever since I have seen them in the fields of Danmark, If any one knows them & would care to share some of the "unknown" things about them I would be most appreciative. Thanks!

CharliGirl 11-26-2010 09:24 PM

I got to meet a herd of them from the farmer that sold my dad his tractor. His fjords were used as pony ride mounts for children in public events--carnivals and such. They seemed very calm and docile, and I can conclude that they are quite trustworthy and unflappable because of what that man used them for.

I'm afraid that's all I know about fjords. They sure are a beautiful and fascinating breed though!

TheRoughrider21 11-26-2010 09:47 PM

They're pretty docile and calm. At the therapuetic riding schooll I voulenteerd at, most of their horses were Fjords. They're very hardy and they're pretty friendly. If I had more money, I would buy one in a flash.

lilruffian 11-26-2010 10:21 PM

I actually learned to ride on one as a kid (still get to ride him whenever i make it out to my friend's) & they're great. I also know of 2 breeders within an hour of my place who would agree that they have wonderful temperments & are very docile.
My friend's gelding (in avatar) was a 4-yr-old stallion when her parents purchased him several years ago. He wasn't broke to ride & her dad just hopped on him one day & he's never given them any issues since. Within that same year he had his little daughters riding him in the pasture.
The only common problem i've heard of with Fjords (the gelding i speak of has the same issue as well) is they tend to have "hard mouths" & like to lean into the bit. He was never taught to bend either, so it is near impossible to turn him at a run! Such a fat, lovely head lol!
They're also very easy keepers. They were feeding Shiner about 10 pounds of hay a day over the summer (he was in a pen with NO grass) & he's still incredibly over weight!
I'm actually in the process of possibly purchasing one of my own. Just deciding between a gorgeous 2-yr-old gelding or a mare :D

Karen of Alsea 11-28-2010 02:28 PM

Thank you Liiruffian for your input. Well, we did it, we purchased our first Fjord colt. Thank you also for letting me know about the "leaning on the bit thing" and the "not bending" issues - I'll make it a point to start working on these issues as key while he is growing up. I rode my friends English Cobb a while back and those were the same issues then as well. Like driving a Mac Truck- is what I could imagine. I am used to horses that respond to a leg or even voice.
I'll work with him on bending, voice & some side poking while in ground training even more than normal. All the Best sent to you- Again thanks --Karen of Alsea' --

Karen of Alsea 11-30-2010 06:56 PM

CharliGirl thank you for sharing your "time with the Fjords" with me. We have purchased the colt named Oden As'Froor and he will be arriving at our farm this Sunday. Your imput helped us to decide-- as everyone said what you told us-- they are very easy going... I put his photo up so everyone can see what a sweet, cute little guy he is. Thanks again

Karen of Alsea 11-30-2010 07:03 PM

RoughRider21 thanks for the personal knowledge of Fjords you gave to me. We did go ahead and made the purchase of the colt Oden As'Froor. He will be 6 months and to be sure, was very sweet, gentle & calm when we met him. He will arrive this Sunday and I am looking forward to his ground training. Wish I had a covered arena instead of an open one - Here in Oregon we have an abundance of mud on the coast. I hope his coat will shed all the rain. I'm sure it's okay for snow but rain...

lilruffian 11-30-2010 07:09 PM

I'm sure he'll be fine. They're a hardy breed ;)

Gidget 11-30-2010 07:10 PM

I have a 2 year old fjord who came from a slaughter auction. Appyfreak rescued her and now she is with me. She is tiny..she might be a cross but the man said she was purebred. She was malnurished :(
Anyways,mine is very sweet and calm.She loves attention.Appyfreak said she wasn't handled much.She already comes up to me,halters,picks up feet,will saddle and bridle,and back up on command. She is extremely smart and picks things up easily.
I met my first one in Medford,Oregon(I'm in Grants Pass,OR).Her name is Ellie and I fell in love with them. I was told that she should mature at 14.1 hands.

Karen of Alsea 12-04-2010 05:52 PM

Gidget, thanks for the thread on your Fjord. Do you still have her and do you have any pictures?