The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   UPDATE on: What could it be???? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/update-what-could-7129/)

brittx6x6 03-21-2008 11:49 AM

UPDATE on: What could it be????

So we took Dime over to the vet in Ohio yesterday and they watched her go and then blocked the back 1/3 of her feet. Then they watched her go again. Once they got the area narrowed down they took x-rays and they found what was wrong.

In her left front foot she has navicular changes which are easily fixed as basically every horse goes through navicular changes. But her right front foot is not as easy to fix. They found out that she has a fractured bone in her foot. I can't think of what it is called right now but it starts with a C. The only way to fix this is to have surgery done. If surgery is not done the only thing she can be is a brood mare. If surgery is done she can return to her same career like nothing happened. So next week we are taking her back and she is having surgery done to remove the fractured part of the bone. Then she has 30 days of hand walking and stall rest. Then 30 days of walking with me on her back and then she can go into work.

I said i would let you know what I found out and there it is. I feel so bad because we don't know how this happened. The vet says it can happen when shes out in the field playing or while she is working so we have no idea.

JustDressageIt 03-21-2008 02:15 PM

Awe Britt, that's no good. At least you guys are willing to do whatever it takes to get her back to form!! I'm so sorry to hear about that :(

brittx6x6 03-23-2008 06:18 PM

Thanks JDI! She has surgery tomorrow morning and then she can come back home on Wednesday.

The bone she fractured was her coffin bone. But the good thing is, is that once it is removed and she heals she can go back to what she did before it happened. So she can jump and stuff. I am just glad we figured out what was wrong.

JustDressageIt 03-23-2008 09:38 PM

Let us know how it goes!!