The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Should I buy this guy? (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/should-i-buy-guy-71314/)

mysticdragon72 11-22-2010 09:06 PM

Should I buy this guy?

1 Attachment(s)
I have the chance to buy a miniature colt from a friend but since I don't know much about minis as I've never owned one or worked with one I was wondering if he would be a good start. I know y'all can't tell much from a photo or from bloodlines but I was hoping to get at least some advice on if anyone who has knowledge in breeding/training minis would buy this horse themselves.

Here's a link to his bloodline on allbreedpedigree: Katamounts Kool Blue Silver Eclipse Miniature

And here's a photo of him:
Katamounts Kool Blue Silver Eclipse - aka - Eli

equiniphile 11-22-2010 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
He looks JUST like my mini colt!

Minis are a great start to the horse world. You can learn about their care, personalities, committment, and see what the horse world is about without diving into a world of problems. Once you get comfortable with minis, maybe you'll want to get a full-size horse you can ride!

mysticdragon72 11-22-2010 09:23 PM

That's cute that he looks a lot like your little guy.. and BTW you're guy is huggably cute! :D

I actually have owned horses for the better part of my life... but never a mini. You see I have no clue about bloodlines for minis or if this one that I'm thinking of buying has good bloodlines or not. I'm sure he's a great little horse though as she's owned him since his birth and is only selling him because she doesn't have the room to keep a stud.

equiniphile 11-22-2010 09:26 PM

Hmm. If I owned him, he would probably be gelded just because I don't see anything conformationally or skill-wise "exceptional". I don't recognize the bloodlines but if he has good lines, he might be worth taking a chance on.

mysticdragon72 11-22-2010 09:35 PM

I was thinking the same thing about his conformation too.. he looks a little over in the knees.. but he's not really standing right to be able to judge confo.... who knows though, I haven't seen him in person yet and he just turned 1 this past July. I'm still considering it.

aandbminis 11-23-2010 09:56 AM

Hi, I would have to agree on conformation but Dell Teras and Kokokos also the vant huttenest line are well known they are older lines and I think Hemlock Brooks Silver Legend was a main herd sire for years at the well known Hemlock brooks farms. You also have gold melody boy in there and he is a very well know stallion from the 70's, grandsire to Buckaroo who some people like today. But these are older stock type lines, like I said but still a lot of people have them in their horses today. I have a lot of older magazines at home with these farms in them from the 80s. Your guy might make a good driving horse or performance horse if you wanted to show. Good Luck with whatever you decide :) oh I wanted to add a link to a farm's web-site. He has a page about some of the older lines that you have in your guy’s pedigree and some of the well-known lines of today as well
http://www.littleamericaminis.com/hi...lstallions.htm

FeatheredFeet 11-23-2010 12:01 PM

Join Katamount on Facebook and ask for pictures of his sire and dam. He has some nice horses way back, but it's the horses in the first three generations which will give you a better idea of his possible quality. That is if you intend to show or breed. He's a cute little fellow though.

Lizzie

aandbminis 11-23-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet (Post 825896)
Join Katamount on Facebook and ask for pictures of his sire and dam. He has some nice horses way back, but it's the horses in the first three generations which will give you a better idea of his possible quality. That is if you intend to show or breed. He's a cute little fellow though.

Lizzie

Very true sire and dam pictures and what they have produced is the most important thing. I just love researching bloodlines....that may make me a dork rofl I'd say he would make a nice gelding for performance type shows maybe driving as well

crimson88 11-23-2010 08:09 PM

Nice lines. I bet theres some driving potential in him :)

mysticdragon72 11-23-2010 11:15 PM

I'd love to do a little breeding to be honest but I want to make sure I'm helping the breed rather than being irresponsible. I'm reasearching bloodlines and such and hopefully I'll know enough about the minis to do a little showing with whichever ones I pick as breeding stock in order to enhance the value of the foals.

This is a future plan, not something that will happen anytime soon... just so y'all don't think I'm going into this as a "backyard breeder". I hate them too as they only harm the breed standard rather than improve it.