The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Gaited Horses in pleasure classes? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/gaited-horses-pleasure-classes-71319/)

Mocha26 11-22-2010 10:34 PM

Gaited Horses in pleasure classes?

Our 4H shows & county fair doesnt have a gaited class, & my friend (who has a gaited horse) has to enter western pleasure. She never places, could that be the reason? & Should she enter walk/trot classes? Cause i dont know if its true or not but, gaited horses shouldn't canter.. please correct me if im wrong.. gaited is new to us so were confused on what to do.. :?:

equiniphile 11-22-2010 10:38 PM

Gaited horses can and do canter. My Paso Fino has walk, fox trot, running walk, largo, and canter. I wouldn't expect her to place in the pleasure class, though, because a pleasure class judges the quality of the walk, trot and canter. It's hard to judge a trot when there is no trot.

Mocha26 11-23-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 825277)
Gaited horses can and do canter. My Paso Fino has walk, fox trot, running walk, largo, and canter. I wouldn't expect her to place in the pleasure class, though, because a pleasure class judges the quality of the walk, trot and canter. It's hard to judge a trot when there is no trot.

Okay, that's what we were thinking, so I think we'll talk to the council about getting a faired class put in, thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

churumbeque 11-23-2010 01:45 PM

Because of the rules they may not be even judging them. But they should tell you that as a judge came up to me and said she didn't judge me because I do not have a trotting horse. You can ask them to rewrite the class to be judged on a trot or comparible gait.

ibedoc 01-30-2011 09:47 PM

I would talk to the council to make sure you have judges that are experienced in judging gaited horses as well as non-gaited. Sometimes it just the judges inexperience that slants their judging against gaited horses. If your going to ride gaited as I do you want fair judging.

Mocha26 02-03-2011 04:43 PM

thanks so much guys.