The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Easy Boots (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/easy-boots-71348/)

Amir 11-23-2010 06:15 AM

Easy Boots

I want to get a set of boots for my horse. He's 4 years old and has been barefoot his whole life. He's got really tough feet, but this summer we'll be trail riding a fair bit.

He's been going on short 1 hour trail rides, maybe once a fortnight for the last 2 months, but we've mostly been on the nature strip on grass and only gone over a bit of gravel/cement/asphalt. He's never limped or been sore after and I plan to keep him like that.

I'll be putting him back on Biotin this week due to our crazy weather. Off and on raining and flooded paddocks that only just get a chance to dry out and then it rains again :-( It's not doing any of the horses feet any favours.

I want boots mostly for trail riding since all my competitions (gymkhanas and show jumping) are on grass arenas, but I'll probably use them when we start eventing next year since the terrain is so varied over a course.
I have no idea what I'm looking at but from what I can gather, either Cavallo Simple Boots or Old Mac Originals would be the choices?
If anyone has any input as to which boot is better, or what boot I should really be looking at, that would be fabulous :D

The area we have to trail ride is on roads, footpaths and nature strips on the side of the road. There's a little bit of actual trail we can go through but it only lasts a little while and it's got a bit of gravel through it. Basically any boots that would do well going over varied terrain.
I'm going to stop rambling and go catch up on some sleep..... Thanks to anyone that can help me!

PaintHorseMares 11-23-2010 06:35 AM

The most important things to look at with boots are how well they fit and making sure they don't rub. A bad fit will cause you all sorts of grief. All the big makes and models fit slightly differently, and the fit is dependant on the shape of your horse's hooves. Rather than starting with a specific make/model, I would first measure (or trace and measure) your horse's hooves. Take the measurements and look at the sizing charts for different boots That will narrow down the list of choices.

kitten_Val 11-23-2010 07:13 AM

I tried pretty much everything besides the Renegades.

Easyboot bares or edge worked best for me, epics are nice too, but that wiring system always makes me concerned if it'll break or the clamp opened (had it happened once on trail).

Cavallo were the worst (I returned them next day I bought).

Old Macs are very bulky IMHO.

Easyboot Gloves are very nice, BUT they have to be a perfect fit to be used on horse. Unfortunately my horses were not good for them.

P.S. If you don't ride on rocks much you don't really need the boots. I use the pair only if I go to the very rocky park.

Amarea 11-23-2010 07:14 AM

I personally prefer the Easy Boot Epics. I used them this summer on my Appy mare who is recovering from a bad case of founder from her previous owner. The Epic's are easy to get on and off BUT they stay on amazingly well through deep sticky mud and other various terrain.

There is a group on Yahoo Groups called hoofbootexchange. You can find pretty much any size of any brand hoof boot for VERY reasonable prices. That's where I bought my Epics from.

ETA: kitten_val - which clips did you have? They have revised the clips on them and there are also various ways that you can adjust the clip to keep it from opening! They also have a new buckle system as well!

New Easyup Buckle- http://www.easycareinc.com/Other_Pro...syup_tips.aspx

Good Luck!

luvs2ride1979 11-23-2010 10:44 AM

I have had rubbing issues on the fetlocks with Old Macs. Right now I'm using Easy Boot Edge boots and have been pretty happy with them. The Gloves are great too, but my mare's hoof shape is wrong for them...

Amir 11-23-2010 04:17 PM

hm... Sounds like it's really just going to come down to trial and error.
Thanks for that yahoo group amarea! Ill check it out when i get home tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device

trailhorserider 11-23-2010 10:20 PM

I ride my trail horses barefoot when I can get away with it (such as close to home where I know what kind of terrain I will be encountering). But when I trailer out with friends and I don't know if we will be riding 4 hours in the rocks, I take Easyboot Epics. I only need them on the front feet, and they have worked out well for me!

Occasionally I have had to replace cables, but these boots are a nice combination of easy to put on AND will fit if the boot size is slightly off.

Easyboot Gloves didn't fit my Mustang's hoof shape, Easyboot Bares were too hard to take on and off, and the Origional Old Macs started cracking on their second ride (Easycare was kind enough to replace them for me). So now I just stick with Epics. :D

MIEventer 11-23-2010 10:27 PM

I bought the Easy Boot Epics when I went Barefoot with Nelson - and ...I HATE THEM! lol.

They were a serious pain in the arse to put on...and.....the wire broke on one boot while we were in the middle of a a Ride A Thon.

I ended up selling 2 of the boots, and I kept 2. I have to get the wire replaced on the one boot, and then when I do - they're being sold as well.

They were a hassle to get on, a struggle I should say - and I wont use them again.

If I go barefoot again...I will try the Renegades

http://www.calicanberra.com/graphics...e_boot_200.jpg

trailhorserider 11-23-2010 10:29 PM

Interesting how we've all had different experiences with them! I guess that's why there are so many styles of hoof boots. :lol:

The Renegades look awesome, but I have never tried them.

MIEventer 11-23-2010 10:34 PM

For me, getting the toe into the boot is 1 thing, but getting the rest over the blasted heel is another. And then the material - OMG....I hate it. Hate them, wont ever use them again!