The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Blue seal min-a-vite?!?! opinions please (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/blue-seal-min-vite-opinions-please-71352/)

Buckcherry 11-23-2010 09:48 AM

Blue seal min-a-vite?!?! opinions please

We just got a quarter horse, and the previous owner only fed him maybe a couple times a week and he's fat. so needless to say hes an easy keeper well we've been feeding him everyday because we want him to get the vitamins and minerals he needs. So we switched him to blue seal min-a-vite which gives him all the minerals and vitamins he needs without extra calories. well since he's started it he's had not exactly diarreha but its like cow patties. Anyone else had this problem, and any other suggestions on what to feed him he was on triple crown lite and did fine on that should we switch him back. Right now he's on stall rest and i let him out to roam for about an hour each day because he has a bowed tendon so thats not helping with his weight issue. Also he has these fat pocked on his belly and they look to be gettting bigger?!?!? I've always had hard keepers so this is new to me.

GreyRay 11-23-2010 11:11 AM

You should probably find a way to feed him his hay so he can only take small nibbles. One idea was to take a barrel and cut small round holes in it, and use that as a hay feeder. Sorry I cant help you with the Min-a-vite question.
Posted via Mobile Device

luvs2ride1979 11-23-2010 11:55 PM

A small mesh hay net would be a good hay solution, so he takes longer to eat his hay and is happier.

For the blue seal, I would contact them with what's going on and see if the company can offer any insight. He may be having an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients, or... ??
Blue Seal Feeds – Contact Us