The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Is anyone interested in Greek Mythology? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/anyone-interested-greek-mythology-71431/)

LoveStory10 11-24-2010 07:41 AM

Is anyone interested in Greek Mythology?

Random topic lol, but I am Pagen, which basically means I worship the greek gods.

Does anyone have a interest in the greek myths? I really enjoy talking about the different myths, monsters, gods, and heroes, so I thought it would be fun.

If anyone doesn't know about a particular myth, I will be happy to share what I know, for example; How Athena was born, The Labyrinth and the Minatour etc.

Anyone?

Carleen 11-24-2010 03:41 PM

I know very little about the topic, but I'm always interested in learning about different things people believe in!

Katesrider011 11-24-2010 03:48 PM

I read the Odyssey? (sp?) But that's about it. :P

LoveStory10 11-25-2010 01:38 AM

^ You've read the Odyssey? That's awsome. Odysseus is one of my faveorite heroes, along with Perseus :). What got you to read it if I may ask?

And Carleen, I'm always willing to share... Is there anything in particular you would like to know, or should I just start at the beggining? :)

Katesrider011 11-25-2010 01:40 AM

Well I read it for school. It was an interesting book, though.

LoveStory10 11-25-2010 02:05 AM

Oh that's awesome! We never have to read books like that for school... I wish we did though lol, I would LOVE english class.

I'll start at the beggining. Please note that I am just sharing my religion, and what we believe in. I am not suggesting that there is no God, nor am I saying that what the bible says is lies. Please just think of my religion, and the stories that will follow, as mythology, I don't expect anyone to believe like I do :)

In the beggining of time, there was just an empty, shapeless mass, and over this reigned a diety (being) called Chaos. He shared his throne with his wife, the goddess of night called Nyx (also known as Nox). They grew weary of their power overtime, and called their son Erebus (Darkness) to help them. But what he did, was dethrone his father, and marry his own mother (in the beggining there were no fixed laws, so that action was not as frowned upon as it is today). They ruled for sometime, but were soon dethroned by their beautiful children AEther (Light) and Hemera (Day), who began to rule.

Their radience lit up everything, and space was seen for the first time. They examined it, and saw many possibilities and decided to make from it a "thing of beauty". This was a huge task, so they sought the help of their child Eros (Amor, or Love). By their combined efforts, Pontus (the Sea), and Gaea (the Earth) were created.

But at this time the Earth was not full of loveliness and beauty as it is now. There were no trees, bird, no nothing. All was silent, bare, and motionless. To fix this problem, Eros took up his life giving arrows, and peirced the cold Earth. Immediatly the Earth was covered in water, grass, trees, and plants. There were fish, and birds, and other wonderful creatures and animals. Everything was now full of joy, motion, and life.

Gaea, roused from her apathy, admired all that had been done to beautify her, and deciding to complete the work so well began, created Uranus (Heaven).

And that is how we believe the world was created... Not by one force, but by the combined efforts of many. That is why nowadays we are taught in our temple that any problem can be solved by teamwork...

Soon I will share the story of the Titans, unless anyone has a question?

Katesrider011 11-25-2010 02:08 AM

That's very interesting indeed, I'v never been real religious anyway.

LoveStory10 11-25-2010 02:44 AM

I'm not overly religious lol, I dont try to convert people to what I am, it's a choice. It is very interesting, which is why I thought I'd share... There's just A LOT of names to remember lol.

Alrighty! On to the Titans:

Uranus and Gaea soon overthrew AEther and Hemera, and began to rule on Mount Olympus. They had not reigned for long before they become the parents of twelve huge children, whose strength was so great that their father feared them. To prevent them ever making use of their strength against him, he siezed them immediatly after birth, and flung them down into a dark abyss called Tartarus (known by Christians as Hell). These giants were called "Titans", and the word "titanic" is still used today to describe something huge. Thus early did the giants appear in legend.

This chasm was situated deep under the earth, and Uranus knew that his six sons (Oceanus, Coeus, Creus, Hyperion, Iapetus, and Cronos), as well as his six daughters (Ilia, Rhea, Themis, Thetis, Mnemosyne, And Phoebe), could not easily escape from it's depths. The Titans did not remain the sole inhabitants for long, they were soon joined by the three one-eyed Cyclopes, called Brontes (Thunder), Steropes (Lightning), and Arges (Sheet-lightning), who were the later born children of the two rulers. In due time their numbers grew by the the three terrible Centimani (Hundred-handed ones), Cottus, Briareus, and Gyges, who had been sent by Uranes to share their fate.

Gaea was highly upset by this cruel and unfair treatment of her children, and pleaded with Uranus for their freedom, but it was all in vain; he would not grant her request to set them free, and whenever their cries of anger could be heard, he trembled in fear of his own safety. Angry beyond all measure, Gaea swore revenge, and went to Tartarus, were she began to urge the Titans to conspire against their father, and attemt to take the septre and power from his grasp.
But they were to fearful after so long, and the only one with enough courage to obey her was the youngest, Cronos. He was also known as Saturn, and was known as the Titan of Time. Gaea set him free, gave him a scythe, and sent him on his way, hoping with all her might that he would return victorious.

Now armed and ready, Cronos came upon his father unawares, defeated him thanks to his mighty weapon and blessing from his mother, and after binding him fast took possession of his thrown, intending to rule the universe forever. Angered by this insult, Uranus cursed his son, and prophesied that he too would be supplanted by his own children one day.

Cronos paid no attention to his father, and set his siblings free. In their joy and gratitude at escaping the horror of Tartarus, expressed their willingness to be ruled by him. He chose his own sister Rhea for his wife, and assigned the rest of the Titans some part of the world over which they could rule. For example; Oceanus and Thetis ere given charge of the rivers and oceans, while Hyperion and Phoebe were given the sun and moon, which the acients drove across the sky daily and nightly in shining chariots.

The story of the Olympian gods comes next, but first, any questions regarding the Titans?

Carleen 11-25-2010 11:18 AM

The stories are really interesting! I'd love to study it in more detail, like in college.

I have to ask though, do you/your family actually go to temple to study this? I know you said something about going to temple but I have honestly never heard of a "place of worship" for Greek Mythology in modern day... how fascinating!!! I would love to know more about what you do there/what it's like as well! If you have time obviously, you're already spending a ton of time typing everything else out. :-P

LoveStory10 11-25-2010 12:20 PM

Sure thing, I'd love to share. I'm the only one in my family that believes the way I do, so my mom drops me off and picks me up again afterwards.

There are twelve gods... My patrion god is Athena, Goddess of Wisdom and Battle Strategy. Im not allowed to say where the temple is, but there is only one temple, where on whatever day you go, you can worship any one of the twelve. I pray and worship all twelve to show no disrespect, but I focus mainly on Athena, and Poseidon... As Athena created crafts, and is very wise, and Poseidon created horses lol.

There is a standard dress code for each, On the days I worship Athena, I wear a floor length grey and gold dress, and on the Poseidon days, I wear a sea green and pale turquoise floor length dress. My hair must be loose, and may be straightened, and I may wear a little eye make up, but I prefer not too wear any.

I am a Priestess of my Lady, so I wear a silver band on my head.I have more duties than the standard worshipper. My duties include performing the opening ritual for all twelve gods on Tuesdays, lighting the insense, and keeping the "wine" (fruit juice" jugs that are used in prayer full. Then I go and perform my prayers and other rituals that I am not allowed to discuss. Then myself and the other priestesses close up the rooms, put everything away, and leave.

It is a very nice place, and is quite unlike churches. You can go into whichever room you want, except those that are reserved for priestesses, and you can basically do whatever you want, provided it is within the rules set by the Acient Greeks long ago :)