The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Skunked! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/skunked-71460/)

Tobyness 11-24-2010 07:01 PM

Skunked!

My BF's dog always gets into trouble when im watching him. He either runs away, eats something he shouldnt, or get skunked. This time...it was skunking. At 1am. In the dark. And it was COLD! He is a lab mix, so i guess its to be expected. Luckily, i had some of that skunk smell remover you can get a Petsmart that i was able to squirt on him right away. Although this morning, he still stunk. Took him to a friends grooming salon and had them use this enzyme shampoo on him...it helped a little. I even put some febreeze pet odor on him, and sprayed the house down with this ECOSMART roach killer because it smells like peppermint and is really strong. All the windows are open, were all night and all day, and im FREEZING! My puppy, the saint he is, has run off once and never been skunked...and he likes to be friends with everybody. Oh dogs....

Does tomato paste really get the smell out?

PintoTess 11-24-2010 07:27 PM

oh poor dog :( lol.

Carleen 11-24-2010 07:48 PM

I've always heard to bathe in tomato juice.. never tried it (luckily, we don't have many skunks around here).

PintoTess 11-24-2010 07:54 PM

we dont have skunks in Australia luckily!!!
maybe you have to go on a "skunk hunt" and chase them out of your horses paddock lol. Please no one start on what i said by saying "oh but that is chasing the skunk from his naural habitat". i mean it as a joke anyway lol :D

Tobyness 11-24-2010 08:13 PM

*gasp* PintoTess, that is so wrong to chase those poor innocent creatures! :lol:

I never know they are around until i smell them, then i know all is lost. Its the second time this has happened, same dog. He just never learns. Must be nice to not have skunks around. They always show up here at the most unpleasant of times.

luvnmyfurrybabies 11-24-2010 08:25 PM

Please keep in mind that skunks carry rabies! They are one of the most common carriers. If he is getting close enough to pester the skunk into spraying (skunks us this as a last resort) he is getting close enough to take a bite.

Vidaloco 11-25-2010 10:30 AM

I've used many skunk remedies with our 5 dogs. The best I've used is the baking soda, hydrogen peroxide bath. Be prepared if you dog is a dark color, it may lighten the hair. I have one black Scottie that was a redhead last year because she got skunked so many times. I buy the extra large bottle of H2o2 just to keep it on hand for emergency's
How to Get Skunk Smell out of Pet Fur | eHow.com

apachiedragon 11-25-2010 10:56 AM

lemon juice can help as well, but tomato doesn't really do much...

Tobyness 11-25-2010 11:02 AM

I never heard of that Vidaloco, i will have to keep that in mind. He is black, but if he wants to get skunked, he can deal with being a redhead!

Vidaloco 11-25-2010 11:55 AM

They did a comparison on the show "Myth Busters" with all the usual remedies. The baking soda/H2O2 won.