The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   best age for a eventing horse to actually start eventing. (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/best-age-eventing-horse-actually-start-71468/)

horsegirl1995 11-24-2010 07:59 PM

best age for a eventing horse to actually start eventing.

i was just wondering about eventing, when the question poped up in my head: if a horse is being trained to be a eventer , at what age can he start to take part in events? all i know is that at less than or at 1 year of age, horses can be led around with a halter. at 2 the can be lunged and as the progress the can carry a saddle ( at 3 maybe) and than finally a human (at 4 i guess), but when do they start eventing properly?

thank you!

equiniphile 11-24-2010 08:49 PM

When the horse is ready, usually around 4 or 5 years old. Don't want to put too muchh stress on their joints too early

corporate pride 11-26-2010 02:22 AM

i got an off the track thoroughbred, i got him at 5yo and he finished 6 months before i got him. he's spent most of his time gettin weight on him and just letting him be feral :)
but i got a plan for him :) and i think it's imprtant to get a plan for what your going to do when.
1) he's gettin remouthed and hobble trained (he's a cronic pawer)
2) next year have him doing e grade only - 45cms with prelim test
3) the yer after d grade if he's coping - 65cms with prelim test
4) if he's still progressing then c grade - 85cms novice test
so when he hits c grade he will turning 9 that year.

i don't want to rush him as i've seen horses being rushed then all of a sudden crash, lost it and never able to event again. its alot for a young horse to do too much. i don't care if he shows talent for the olympics, he won't make it there being rushed through the grades.

here in austraila (well western australia) you can't compete a horse under 5 years old, you can't attend training days on horses under 4yo. and fair enough. it should be the same with racing.

faye 11-26-2010 02:53 AM

I wouldnt start eventing a horse untill they were 5 as you need the 4 yearold year to teach them to pick up thier feet.
Also a horses growth plates do not finnish sealing untill they are approx 7 years old so you don't want to put oo much strai on a horse too early. By 5 most of the major plates have sealed.

Strange 11-26-2010 01:57 PM

4-5 years old. As long as they have learned self carriage and understand dressage higher than the level they would be competing at. They should also trust you enough that when they get out on a course, whether it be XC or SJ, they will let you take care of them. And that, I think, is the key. A young horse SHOULD NEVER be evented by someone less experienced, because you're more likely to scare the poor animal than show it any success.

I have met several horses that were evented from the age of 4 and they were still going strong at 15-16 years old. It all depends on the horse. You'll know when they're ready.

MaggiStar 11-26-2010 02:38 PM

It kinda depends on the horse my current girl is 8 and flying through the levels but this year she is hanging round intermediate for a while as i dont wanna push her high just yet.
I have an other youngster imn not going to take out for another year if not more and he is 5 he just is not ready and couldnt cope with it and if he is never ready thas ok. Some horses dont deal with shows well and its unfair to put it upon them

MIEventer 11-26-2010 03:12 PM

You are at Intermediate Level? I'd love to see pictures and or Video's of you competing!

MaggiStar 11-26-2010 06:59 PM

Ye im going this weekend weather permitting its meant to snow and i will get pictures!
I dunno are our levels the same though im in Ireland.
Tere is a picture of us messing over a big bush at home in my barn under maggie she is 16.2hh so gives an indication of its size

MightyEventer 11-30-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggiStar (Post 829936)
Ye im going this weekend weather permitting its meant to snow and i will get pictures!
I dunno are our levels the same though im in Ireland.
Tere is a picture of us messing over a big bush at home in my barn under maggie she is 16.2hh so gives an indication of its size

intermediate level in the US is around 3'11 i believe. my friend who is 18 competes that level with her 15ish hh pony! is incredible!