The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheenook the Holsteiner Stallion?

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Supermane 
#1 ·
So, we're hopefully importing a show jumper by Cheenook in two weeks (if the vetting goes well) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little bit about him.
I would post pictures of the new boy, but I don't have any, just a video.

#3 ·
I own a horse by Cheenook...

Hi Supermane. I was browsing and noticed your post. I imported a son of Cheenook in 2003. Cheenook was #1 leading hunter sire in 2008 for the USEF and #2 in 2007. His progeny have made their mark in the hunters in America and the jumpers in Europe. When I bought my stud, his sisters were selling 150,000 Euros each, so I was delighted to find a suitable horse for myself. If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer or talk "horse" with you.

#4 ·
He's related to my guy then - through the Cor de la Bryere line.

Interesting that Cheenook was trained in dressage but still produces jumping offspring. This speaks to his rideability.

Good luck! What is the dam line?

#5 ·
He's yet to get here, so I haven't gotten a good look at his papers yet. Though he's suppose to getting picked up from holding in New York tomorrow around 10 am. I'll recheck when I can, I'm sure I'll be just as curious about the damsire.

The trainer that went out to ride him said my new boy was super easy to ride. He went around to every jump with a loopy rein, so I think he might have passed on the rideability. Though, I guess I'll see when I finally get to ride him later this week.

I tracked down a dressage video of Cheenok from a site:
But I can't seem to find any of him jumping or even any pictures. It's unusually seeing as he mainly a jumping sire... I'm not even entirely sure what level dressage he did. It says he competed at the prix st. george/Intermediaire Ilevel (depending on the site... or they could be the same thing, I really know nothing), but trained up to the grand prix level

Thanks for the info holsteinerpride, I actually got him as a Hunter/Equitation mount so it's nice to see that Cheenook has produced nice hunters. I'm a little sad to see he was put down a few years ago.

#6 ·
He's yet to get here, so I haven't gotten a good look at his papers yet. Though he's suppose to getting picked up from holding in New York tomorrow around 10 am. I'll recheck when I can, I'm sure I'll be just as curious about the damsire.

The trainer that went out to ride him said my new boy was super easy to ride. He went around to every jump with a loopy rein, so I think he might have passed on the rideability. Though, I guess I'll see when I finally get to ride him later this week.

I tracked down a dressage video of Cheenok from a site: YouTube - Tannenhof's Cheenook
But I can't seem to find any of him jumping or even any pictures. It's unusually seeing as he mainly a jumping sire... I'm not even entirely sure what level dressage he did. It says he competed at the prix st. george/Intermediaire Ilevel (depending on the site... or they could be the same thing, I really know nothing), but trained up to the grand prix level

Thanks for the info holsteinerpride, I actually got him as a Hunter/Equitation mount so it's nice to see that Cheenook has produced nice hunters. I'm a little sad to see he was put down a few years ago.
It's a bit confusing, Prix St. Georges and Intermediare I are part of the same level (these are ridden at the Pan American Games) and referred to as the "small tour". Intermediare II is an "easy" Grand Prix. Grand Prix and the Grand Prix special are called "large tour" and are the tests ridden at the Olympics, WEG, etc..

Yes, the sire was trained in dressage (this is why I'm saying it's good for his ridability. It takes a very ridable horse to do PSG dressage!) But he produces a lot of jumpers as he is all jumping lines. He could have jumped, but it is far more impressive that he is so ridable they can do dressage on him.

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.