The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   New horse: what do you think? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/new-horse-what-do-you-think-71485/)

Supermane 11-24-2010 11:49 PM

New horse: what do you think?

He's a little 5 year old 15.3 hh warmblood (I think he's a holsteiner, but I'd have to check) gelding. If all goes well with the vetting next week he'll be shipped to New York. Anyway, I'd love opinions. I'm too excited pick him apart. But please keep in mind that he is still pretty green.

We're planning on doing hunter, eq, and jumper on him.

equiniphile 11-24-2010 11:53 PM

Is this the Cheenok foal you're importing?

I love his movement, his headset, he's just overall spectacular-looking.

Supermane 11-24-2010 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 828219)
Is this the Cheenok foal you're importing?

I love his movement, his headset, he's just overall spectacular-looking.

Yeah, this is him. I don't know anything about his breeding as I know embarrassingly little about warmblood lines. I actually am not in love with his trot, though I think that might be me being picky.

Oxer 11-25-2010 12:09 AM

i like the last fence... he throws his head around like: "did anyone see that?? did you guys see how awesome that was!?!?" haha!
he doesn't seem to have much of an opinion with the smaller fences. kinda' hangs a leg and doesn't get very square in front with the little stuff. but the bigger fences he's very active over. nice and tight in front with an active hind end.

equiniphile 11-25-2010 12:11 AM

^I noticed that too. I think he's bored with the smaller fences :P I'll take a horse like that anyday! If I can be extremely nosy, what did you pay for him?

Deerly 11-25-2010 12:14 AM

He's so cute! Look amazing for a greenie like he's really trying to be a good boy. I'm jealous, he looks great to me!!

Just curious, why are you importing? Since you aren't super into the bloodlines or anything - what's the appeal of an international horse? That is pure curiosity only because it seems like it would cost so much more! He's adorable though, I don't blame you!

Supermane 11-25-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deerly (Post 828254)
He's so cute! Look amazing for a greenie like he's really trying to be a good boy. I'm jealous, he looks great to me!!

Just curious, why are you importing? Since you aren't super into the bloodlines or anything - what's the appeal of an international horse? That is pure curiosity only because it seems like it would cost so much more! He's adorable though, I don't blame you!

There's much better resale value on imported horses in my area. Most of the time people import them and then as soon as they hit the ground they charge more.

I'd rather not say what we are paying for him, but I think it's an excellent price for what he is.

Oxer 11-25-2010 12:24 AM

ah... i missed the part where he was a stallion. do you ride stallions normally? esp a five year old?? they're quite the handful!

Supermane 11-25-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxer (Post 828270)
ah... i missed the part where he was a stallion. do you ride stallions normally? esp a five year old?? they're quite the handful!

This one is a gelding, someone else is taking the stallion.

equiniphile 11-25-2010 12:26 AM

^Not if you know how to handle them

Edit: oops, post directed at Oxer, posted at same time as OP