The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   I'm not that good at horse riding yet (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/im-not-good-horse-riding-yet-715/)

Crazy Horse 02-14-2007 04:47 PM

I'm not that good at horse riding yet

Hiya. I have being taking horse riding lessions for two years now and I LOVE it to bits it gives me somthing to look forward to mondays! :lol: The thing is I dont have a poney to myself . Which makes me sad :cry: But I gess I will have to live with it for a while! I was just wondering do you guys have any helpfull tips for me! It could be tips on how to convince my dad to get a poney also! :lol: :lol: lol! Thanks for the help.

crackrider 02-15-2007 02:41 AM

Just keep dropping hints and nagging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D That's how i got my first horse!!! Also show your dad all the time how much you love horses!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

ChoicePretenes 02-15-2007 03:45 AM

Does your dad go to your lessons? If he does, show him by tacking him around, and being like " Well look what I could do if I had my OWN horse." Or " If I had my own horse I'd be better at what I love, and I'd be happy."

Just show him ^_^

Skippy! 02-15-2007 08:58 AM

Well, something i would be absolutely sure of before i started dropping hints, is to be aware at how much care a horse really needs. It is not all about riding you know ;)

Will you be keeping it at a boarding facility? Or at your house? Are you familiar with costs of vet and farrier care? Feed Prices? Tack prices? What happens if your horse is too much for you to handle.. do you know trainer prices?

There are a LOT of things to keep in mind about horses before purchasing... perhaps ask your dad about half leasing a horse from your lesson program? Thats a popular option for greenies to choose =) All the fun and none of the responsibility!

BeautifulBay 02-15-2007 05:12 PM

That's good advice skippy...

crazyhorse, being a mom, I'll tell you what works.....It is all about your responsibility, NOT BEGGING. Anyone can beg, but not everyone can be responsible and actually DESERVE what it is they want.

If you want that pony, then you need to show that you can handle it. Get your chores done around the house without being told, make sure your homework is always done, help with the dishes, don't argue with your parents, all that stuff shows that you can be responsible, because a horse is a tremendous responsiblity. You need to be able to handle the expenses, the cleaning, the vet care, farrier care, the cost of tack and supplies, a trainer, and who knows what else?! and expecting your parents to do all the hard work for you is not exactly fair nor responsible. So, how badly do you want your own pony??....show you can work for it.
I never give my children something THAT enormous until they have shown me that they can handle it. They must deserve it in order to receive it....if not, they don't get it.
Keep that in your mind, because that is the stuff that good parents look for. Good luck to you, I not only hope you get your pony, I hope you DESERVE your pony!

daveb 02-15-2007 06:23 PM

Also, try hanging around the barn and helping out even when you don't have lessons.

Learning about horse care will make you a better horse owner if you ever do get a horse. Also, if you show your dad that you are willing and able to really do the chores required to have a horse (mucking stalls, feeding, watering, etc), will go a long way to showing that you can handle the responsibilty.

Skippy! 02-15-2007 10:26 PM

Quote:

crazyhorse, being a mom, I'll tell you what works.....It is all about your responsibility, NOT BEGGING. Anyone can beg, but not everyone can be responsible and actually DESERVE what it is they want.
EXACTLY.. wonderful advice and an AWESOME point! Bravo!

BeautifulBay 02-16-2007 10:47 AM

Skippy, I love your herd!! What a beautiful bunch!!

Crazyhorse, this should only encourage you, not make you feel disappointed in any way. Having a horse is a big deal and things like this will certainly give you sight into what it is to grow up and be an adult. For now, you enjoy your riding lessons...I never even got those as a kid and waited until I was 30 and got my own horse. Just hold onto what it is you want, YOU can be the one to make that a reality. Work hard, girl!

D-izzle 02-22-2007 06:22 PM

mabey suggest leasing before buying..it might be a good start to get the feel of it! hope it helps!

barnrat 02-22-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

perhaps ask your dad about half leasing a horse from your lesson program? Thats a popular option for greenies to choose =) All the fun and none of the responsibility!
Cheaper.....also where it says No responsiblity, it does show some responsibility if you ask me...While leasing a horse, even if it is not fully yours, you are still the one who needs to take it out and excersize it!