The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Videos (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/)
-   -   Winning Bridleless Ride (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/winning-bridleless-ride-71577/)

Deer Run Stables 11-26-2010 02:27 PM

Winning Bridleless Ride

Here's a video of Tucker and me at one of the Pine Dell Versatility Challenges, where we won riding (mostly) brideless. Stick with it-- I took the halter off after the first obstacle, when it was fairly obvious he was "with me". :wink:

Please ignore the fact that I look like an old lady. :shock: Other than that, I was really happy with this ride.

equiniphile 11-26-2010 02:36 PM

What an amazing horse! I've just started parelli and would hope to soemtime get to the point where I can do that with my TB. Thank you for the inspiration!

MacabreMikolaj 11-26-2010 02:39 PM

That's awesome, but I have a question.

If you need the stick to guide him anyway, wouldn't it be EASIER with a bridle? I thought the point of bridleless was to have them trained to your leg and seat?

Deer Run Stables 11-26-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj (Post 829660)
I thought the point of bridleless was to have them trained to your leg and seat?

Yup, it certainly is. :-) Unfortunately, we're not that good yet. I can usually get away without the stick these days when we're bumming around the farm, but it would have been asking for trouble not to have it during a precision competition, at our level of competence.

You'll also notice I didn't walk into the arena with nothing on his head. I honestly had no idea what to expect; it was the first competition I've ridden in since starting NH. I figured it would be dangerous to assume that I'd be riding the same horse that I ride at home. :wink:

Deer Run Stables 11-26-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 829654)
What an amazing horse! I've just started parelli and would hope to soemtime get to the point where I can do that with my TB. Thank you for the inspiration!

Thank you for the kind words! Tucker's the kind of horse that I always should have owned-- a nice, lazy LBI to complement my own rather RBI tendencies. Unfortunately, I spent an awfully big chunk of my life clinging to the backs of extreme RBE horses as they exploded right, left and center. :lol:

tinyliny 11-26-2010 08:22 PM

LBI? RBi? RBE?
I must be too old to know what that means.
Nice ride and nice horse. YOu, and old lady? hUH?

Deer Run Stables 11-26-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 830035)
LBI? RBi? RBE?
I must be too old to know what that means.
Nice ride and nice horse. YOu, and old lady? hUH?

Ha, ha-- my apologies. I dropped into Parelli-speak for a moment there, since a previous poster said she was doing Parelli as well.

Parelli classifies horses as being broadly either Left Brain (thinkers, non-reactive, non-emotional) or Right Brain (emotional, reactive), and either Introverts (don't really like to move their feet, often called lazy) or Extroverts (move their feet A LOT; often more than you'd like!).

So LBI=Left Brain Introvert (lazy, non-reactive); RBI=Right Brain Introvert (emotional, but tends to shut down or "freeze" when stressed);LBE=Left Brain Extrovert (playful, bold, mischievous); RBE=Right Brain Extrovert (emotional, tends to spook or bolt when frightened).

As you can imagine, the training method for a left brain introvert would be very different than for a right brain extrovert, and so forth. LBIs need mental stimulation to avoid boredom and increase engagement and enthusiasm; RBEs need repetition and consistency to increase confidence and calmness. It's an incredibly useful system, and Parelli folks tend to apply the concepts to people as well, like a shorthand Meyers-Briggs test. :-)

As for looking like an old lady, my posture here (or lack thereof) is a scary, scary thing (for me, at least!). Need. More. Pilates. :cry:

Juniper 11-27-2010 07:10 PM

that is fabulous

Caitlinpalomino 11-27-2010 11:52 PM

well done that was great.......just wondering how long did it take you to be able to do that?

Deer Run Stables 11-28-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juniper (Post 831314)
that is fabulous

Thanks, Juniper! I love my horse. :D