The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Lunging worth a Try? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/lunging-worth-try-71609/)

Tasia 11-26-2010 09:51 PM

Lunging worth a Try?

Hey again!
So we have about 8 in. of snow and I have been trying to keep riding every second day and I did so today. Taking him out of his pen he was already a little wierd he spooked at the cows and the door. I got him all saddled up and began doing some trot circles (keep in mind I am riding in the snow). He was doing well. I decided to lope a few circles to the left he did well. I started him to the right and he hollowed out and had a had a fit :evil:. Evading the bit, running like a mad man, throwing some bucks, tosing his head, dropping his shoulder, the whole sha bang when I got him back to a stop I tried a few more times and got the same results. I just gave up and got off.He spooked at the sled,the door and his grain bucket when I dismounted.
I was shook up for a while. I watched him stand in his pen for a bit contemplaiting what to do. I decided to lope him on the longe line a few times to see if it has someting to with me or the saddle. I felt as if we lost a bunch of training.
I was curous to see everyones opinions on what happend and if I should give lunging a try.
Thank you
Tasia

CharliGirl 11-26-2010 09:56 PM

Just curious--does he normally wear a winter blanket?

My horses do the same thing when the weather changes--it seems to give them more energy than they know what to do with! I would give him as much turnout time as possible, and lunge him before riding. Just make sure the footing isn't too icy or deep.

I have to lunge Scotch before I ride...it is much nicer to get those bucks out of his system BEFORE I get on his back. Keeps everyone safer.

Tobyness 11-26-2010 09:57 PM

It sounds like he mayve just been having one of those days. Does he do this often or is it something new? He couldve been a little stiffer on the right side. Did he have a good warm up both ways before you started into the trotting/loping? Sometimes, you just have to walk them a little both ways, let them see everything and warm up their muscles. It may not be a bad idea to try lunging him before you get on, in the event he is feeling a bit fresh, especially if you bring him in and he is already acting out of character.

I think you did the right thing by lunging him after you got off. You didnt completely quit by getting off. Next time, do it before you put him away though. And then maybe get back on for a few minutes and see what happens.

Tasia 11-26-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharliGirl (Post 830066)
Just curious--does he normally wear a winter blanket?

My horses do the same thing when the weather changes--it seems to give them more energy than they know what to do with! I would give him as much turnout time as possible, and lunge him before riding. Just make sure the footing isn't too icy or deep.

I have to lunge Scotch before I ride...it is much nicer to get those bucks out of his system BEFORE I get on his back. Keeps everyone safer.

Yes hes been wearing his winter blanket since October. He lives in a large field so I don't believe turn out is the issue.:-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobyness (Post 830069)
It sounds like he mayve just been having one of those days. Does he do this often or is it something new? He couldve been a little stiffer on the right side. Did he have a good warm up both ways before you started into the trotting/loping? Sometimes, you just have to walk them a little both ways, let them see everything and warm up their muscles. It may not be a bad idea to try lunging him before you get on, in the event he is feeling a bit fresh, especially if you bring him in and he is already acting out of character.

I think you did the right thing by lunging him after you got off. You didnt completely quit by getting off. Next time, do it before you put him away though. And then maybe get back on for a few minutes and see what happens.

This summer he went threw a rearing problem while spinning. Then he had collection problems in the fall we got his teeth done and he was better then just today he started this.
I believe he had a good warm up before hand.

CharliGirl 11-26-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tasia (Post 830122)
Yes hes been wearing his winter blanket since October. He lives in a large field so I don't believe turn out is the issue.:-)

If you are removing his blanket to ride, he could be having trouble adjusting to the drastic temperature change. Horses move around to warm up, so this could be part of your issue here.

Maybe give lunging and/or riding with a quarter sheet a try?

tinyliny 11-27-2010 12:31 AM

In the snow, his feet don't have ice balls in them , to they?

I think that when a horse has behavior problems going to one side only, there is almost always some sort of comfort issue. Something in his body is hurting when he goes to the right. Does this happen only when CANTERING to the right , or while trotting to the right also?
When this happens, do you pull harder on the rein or put your leg on and ask him to go more forward? The rearing thing makes me think that he gets stuck. Somthing hurts, he starts to buck or try to run out from the pain, then pressure on the bit means he has nowhere to go so he goes UP.

If the behaviour continued every time , and was at all gaits going right, I would have him looked at by a vet and/or a chiropractor.

As for getting off him and lunging him, I don't see the point there.

You want to end on a good note with him. good means that he is doing what you ask and doing it reasonabley willingly. If I had no luck getting him to go right, I would ease off, then go left and set my goal to having him responsive to the left before calling it a day and gettting off.
The feeling that you have between you at the moment you get off is the thing that sticks iwth the horse afterward. So, find a goal that is reachable, get it and get off.

Tasia 11-28-2010 01:40 AM

I put vasaline on his hooves and I have yet to see any snow build up in there. Yes its only loping on the right side.

tinyliny 11-28-2010 02:20 AM

One thought is that when a horse lopes he must weight his OUTSIDE lateral pair more heavily than the inside lateral pair (outside hind and fore). SO, if he is sore on his left hind, then cantering to the right requires him to put a lot more weight on that outside left leg, hind. But if you see no other signs of lamesness on that side then it might not be the issue.
Still, I would think it's a comfort issue, somehting skeletal . Chiropractor?

Tasia 11-28-2010 02:28 AM

I never thought off that. So possibly he pulled something in the pasture causing this... It would make sense being so acute. I will ride him tomorrow again and see if there is any change.

Tasia 11-28-2010 09:18 PM

ROde him again. Lunged him loping to the right for a while he was wired for a few minutes then he calmed down. I will be getting lessons soon and I maybe my coach can help. I just dont want to get hurt.