The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Learning to jump! (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/learning-jump-7162/)

HaflingerHorse 03-22-2008 10:35 AM

Learning to jump!

My sister thinks that we should get into into jumping [I am not to sure about it]. Yes I would like to jump for the fun of it. But she is talking show jumping!!!

What are somethings that can help you get better at jumping [neither of us have ever jumped] What are somethings that the horse has to be good at?

Thanks
Keri

xoLivxo 03-22-2008 11:31 AM

if i were you id get a trainer....its safest :D

HaflingerHorse 03-22-2008 11:49 AM

Your probably right!

I really don't think that it will happen but it might

Do you think that QH would be good for jumping?

Keri

xoLivxo 03-22-2008 01:03 PM

huh well id say for smaller jumping, like under 3'6. if u want to go competitve, id suggest a different breed. glad to help!

HaflingerHorse 03-22-2008 01:10 PM

I probably won't want to jump anything higher then that anyways!! :D

Keri

xoLivxo 03-22-2008 02:49 PM

cool, good luck!

HaflingerHorse 03-22-2008 05:12 PM

Thanks!!

Keri

Harlee rides horses 03-22-2008 08:15 PM

Quarter Horses aren't built to do jumping. Even if its small heights, that's not right for their breed requirements, it (being the jumping) eventually builds up and works against their stature. Maybe an appendix quarter horse could even be better than a regular stocky Quarter Horse.

xoLivxo 03-22-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harlee rides horses
Quarter Horses aren't built to do jumping. Even if its small heights, that's not right for their breed requirements, it (being the jumping) eventually builds up and works against their stature. Maybe an appendix quarter horse could even be better than a regular stocky Quarter Horse.

i actually totally agree. something like a TB or warmblood/warmbloodx would be best

Cheval 03-23-2008 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harlee rides horses

True, but I think it just all depends on the horses' body build and mind. Jumping puts a lot of stress on horses joints, no matter the breed. If he has a athletic body and a good, willing personality, go ahead and give it a shot. Also, it depends on training. Has he had jump training in the past?
If he's had jump training or has none and you have none, I strongly suggest getting a trainer.
Jumping is really a matter of saftey, and you always have to remember this.
Good luck. Keep us updated!