The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   The "in's and out's" of breeding "the list starts here" Help out! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/ins-outs-breeding-list-starts-here-71638/)

myhorsesonador 11-27-2010 03:25 AM

The "in's and out's" of breeding "the list starts here" Help out!

Ok I have decited that we could really use a thread that has all that needs to be known about breeding. It's easier to sticky some thing than it is to have a 100 page argument about breeding.

Se here is what I need ya'll to help me with, I need every one to post stuff about breeding. I'm going to save it all and start a new thread with a list.

I would do it my self but I'm really tired so any way this could be fun!

PintoTess 11-27-2010 03:36 AM

I have learned that you dont just breed because you want to play with a baby horse, it takes time and careful selection. not all foals grow up to be the perfect little angels, it takes training. be sure you want to breed your mare. cos just remeber, there could be a life at stake!!

myhorsesonador 11-27-2010 03:41 AM

Thats a good one PT!

Spastic_Dove 11-27-2010 03:49 AM

Hmm:

Know what you are breeding for and then select the sire and dam with the right build and mind for that sport.

If you can go to an auction and find the same thing there for cheap, don't breed for it.

Even when you do everything right, there is still a chance of injury, death, or a subpar foal.

You can't ride papers, but if you want your horse to stand a chance of a good life if no longer in your ownership they usually help.

You can never garuntee you will always own your foal. Life happens. Set it up for success.

Always be aware of genetic diseases and testing for things like HYPP, HERDA, etc.

Proper vet and mare care are essential. Breeding is going to be more expensive than buying in most cases and is always less certain. Be prepared for emergencies.

Make sure you be willing to put the age appropriate training on your horses it needs while it is in your care. Either do it yourself or have someone else do it. It may be 'cute' now, but will it be cute when a full grown horse does it to you?

Most good studs will not be offering a fee of $200.

crimson88 11-27-2010 03:52 AM

Another thing is, color doesn't make the horse. People should never breed horses for a desired color.

myhorsesonador 11-27-2010 03:54 AM

oh good ones! Keepem commen!

Spastic_Dove 11-27-2010 03:57 AM

Oh!

What has the stud and mare done?
For show horses, they should be showing and winning consistently at a competitive level or at least have a solid track record of doing so. Just because your mare wins at the local gymkhana every week does not mean she is a good candidate to breed for barrel horses.

Good ranch horses are worth their weight in gold too. Is the horse built well? Does it have the good mind, cow sense, and workability that you would want passed on?
If youre not breeding for a show horse that's fine, but you should still breed for quality. Most ranch horses I have been on would have no problem transitioning into the show ring to sort cows for example. At least at a low competition level. This is the perfect sort of example of breeding for an all around horse.

Chiilaa 11-27-2010 05:53 AM

If you have to ask other people if your mare/stallion is of breeding quality, it is a pretty sure thing that you don't have the knowledge needed to breed.

crimson88 11-27-2010 12:45 PM

Kinda like what Dove said above, but there already a lot of "gentle family horses or trail horses" available for very low (usually under $300) at auctions, kill pens and rescues. Instead of breeding more horses make more "family" horses, why not adopt a horse in a situation like that instead?

Also, if you do plan to breed two horses, ask your self:

"Where might my foal end up in the future?"

If the foal's parents have nothing to there merit, there may be a chance the foal will end up at an auction, kill pen or rescue.

If the parents have been shown to a fairly high level of competion, more than likely your foal will enjoy a good life and be used for competion and loved by his owners.

crimson88 11-27-2010 12:49 PM

I think I might make a webpage using some of the ideas we cover on this thread, so other people can read.