The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Any helpful training tips? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/any-helpful-training-tips-71685/)

BlckAPHAColt 11-27-2010 05:45 PM

Any helpful training tips?

Hello All!
I have a six month old American Paint Horse Stud Colt, he is not my first horse, however he my first so young and is a do-it-yourself training project as I really can't afford to train him professionally. Do ya'll have any helpful tips or tricks to make him a success story?
Thanks very much ^_^

mysticdragon72 11-27-2010 05:55 PM

I'm in a similar situation as you.. except I'll have two to train on my own. My filly is going to be 2 in April and the gelding will be 3 in March but I probably have one up on you as they've both been shown in halter classes so they at least have ground manners already.

Does your baby have any training at all or are you starting from the very beginning? If the baby is at least halter trained then you have a good foundation at least.

I'm no expert and I'm sure you'll get better replies from the experts on here but I would suggest that you read... read... read. As much as you can about how to start a baby. There's PLENTY of stuff online to learn the steps and how to do them safely.

Good Luck!! :D

BlckAPHAColt 11-27-2010 06:00 PM

He is at least halter broke and he stands to be groomed and ties well and he picks up his feet...sorta but he has brains galore and thank you so much for the help ^_^

Silvera 11-27-2010 11:22 PM

The biggest thing to start with is your relationship. Make sure you have his trust and respect. You want to be the head of your hear of two, don't let him get away with bad behavior, but reward good behavior. If your relationship with him is good then everything else will fall into place better with a little work.

Take your time, expose him to new things that are scary and see how he reacts to them. You want it so he is looking to you for guidence with weither it is something to be freaked out about.

Other then that, I can't really help with anything specific because I don't know what you are aiming for. But the other thing you can look into also is if there is a trainer around your area that would be willing to come in and do a lesson with the both of you to keep you on track. This would be a good way to make sure you are doing things well and not pay the high training fees.

BlckAPHAColt 11-27-2010 11:32 PM

Thank you so much I will do that

BlckAPHAColt 11-27-2010 11:33 PM

Thank you so much I will try that because like I said he's sharp as a tack catches on really quickl

xostallion 11-28-2010 01:25 AM

I defiantly know what you mean when it comes to training younger horses. I have to do 3 myself, one will be a year in may, the other 2 in april and another 4 in oct? i believe im not sure

but when i started with my stud i just made sure that he understood that i wasnt going to hurt him, i mean if you can get your horse to trust you then your on the right way. Silvera is right, you should get your stud use to noises like be all calm one min then jump and shout waving your arms the next so hes use to unexpected noises.

I also find that if you can run your hands all over his entire body that really helps. Like..for me i touch my horses everywhere. Their back, shoulders, neck, ears. All down their legs, underneath (not trying to be gross) but around his nuts in that general area, so if by chance something happens hes not going to freak out over it. Once your horse is use to that, use a brush to brush everywhere. I also find that if you can run your hands down his legs and such it will be much easier and more convient for you to pick his feet up when your ready =)

Take your time tho, its not going to happen over night. Hopefully this was helpful to you at least, im sorry if i sorta repeated what Silvera said.

Good luck!

BlckAPHAColt 11-28-2010 08:58 AM

Any little bit help really Danny's a pretty chill colt and is curious about everything... I just want to make sure I do this right for his sake more than mine