The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   How do I keep my jeans from doing this? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/how-do-i-keep-my-jeans-71727/)

A knack for horses 11-28-2010 12:46 AM

How do I keep my jeans from doing this?

1 Attachment(s)
Ever since I started riding (5 years ago) I have had the same occourance with my jeans over and over.
Jean shopping is NOT my favorite task, as it is extremely hard to find jeans that fit me, as well as compliment my figure. I usually end up buying jeans from J.C. Penney, Kohls, or Wal-Mart.
Any pair of jeans I have ridden more than a time or two in, end up with rubbed holes in the crotch area. It doesn't matter where I get them from or who makes them, these weird holes appear. And none of the jeans that I don't ride in ever get these holes.

And all my jeans have these holes now, and it is time for me to get some new ones. My family isn't the richest in the world, so quality is definately a priority.
Do you think I should give riding jeans a try? I haven't gone and actually tried any on, but from looking at cataloges and online, I really don't think I would find any that would flatter my many curves, or fit my short legs.

smrobs 11-28-2010 12:51 AM

I finally had to start shopping in the men's section to find jeans to fit me right and are comfortable. I personally like Wranglers the best but unfortunately, if you are riding a lot everyday, then you are going to wear holes in your jeans regardless of what brand they are. My holes usually end up along the seam on my inner thigh. If worse comes to worse, you might have to make the choice between quality and appearance. Most your typical women's jeans are the lighter weight denim that usually has some stretch in them and that makes the material weaker and faster to wear out.

Wallaby 11-28-2010 01:03 AM

With my jeans ( I have the same issue), right when I get them, I sew a iron on patch on each inner thigh area, right in the place that I always get the holes (I use a holey pair for reference). That seems to reinforce them and make them last significantly longer. I also only wear Vigoss jeans (they're the only ones that ever fit me right) and they're generally made out of tougher/thicker fabric than most women's jeans. I have a pair that I've had for at least 2 years that are only just starting to get sketchy holes. :D

A knack for horses 11-28-2010 01:03 AM

I've never considered mens jeans before...

I'm thinking jeans that are actually designed for the purpose of riding would last longer (these jeans I have bought only lasted me 5 months of riding every other week)

I know from years of difficulty finding jeans that fit me, fashion is the last thing on my list of criteria for a good pair of jeans. Flattery, on the other hand, is something I really don't want to compromise. Sad to say, I don't have the prettiest figure in the world. And 75% of the clothes I try on make me look 4 months pregnant (Not the best look for a Junior in High School). Also, 60% of those clothes don't even fit me to begin with. Urgh, end of my rant...

But I definately am giving up on the cheap everyday jeans. I might have to look into the mens jeans, if I can't find any womens that fit me decently.

EDIT* Wallaby, I may have to try the patch with the one good pair of jeans I have left. Hopefully they will last longer.

Wallaby 11-28-2010 01:07 AM

Oh! Another plug I have for Vigoss jeans is that they can make anyone's booty look amazing. I have a really full figured, super short (she's 5ft tall, on a good day) that looks amazing in almost any pair of Vigoss she puts on, and I'm 5ft9in (on a short day) and basically a stick, and I look pretty great in almost any pair of Vigoss I put on. I even have a friend in between the two of us that wears Vigoss and she looks great in them too. They're a beautiful thing. Haha

Anyway, plug=done. Haha!

RadHenry09 11-28-2010 01:09 AM

I have this same issue, I have used the iron on patches and that has made them last a little longer but still wore through.
I finally broke down a bought a pair of breeches just for riding instead of jeans and yes I ride western most of the time.
I just got tired of replacing jeans all the time and wearing out my good jeans that I wear to work.
I have yet to find a pair that hold up well at all and I buy mine at , walmart , target ,old navy and gap. I like how Lee jeans fit though. Please let me know when you have found a good pair that hold up well.

smrobs 11-28-2010 01:11 AM

LOL, I hear you completely. My main problem is that my waist is thicker than most women and my thighs are big. On the other hand, my hips really aren't that wide so I don't have the hourglass figure, I am more boxy.

These are the ones that I recently found and I love the way that they fit.
Wrangler George Strait Cowboy Cut Original Fit Jeans | Cavender's Boot City
The waist isn't so tall that you feel like you're wearing a bra and jeans in one and they are actually fairly flattering on my body type, especially with a shirt tucked in.

tinyliny 11-28-2010 01:11 AM

What on your saddle is rubbing there? Anything sticking out?
Here's a thought. Buy a new, sturdy pair of jeans and make your own little full seat breeches out of them by having the leather work guy sew on some patches in that area. It'll give you added grip'em , too.

tinyliny 11-28-2010 01:16 AM

Look at"Smoothstride jeans" and other products by them. They make the absolute best western riding breeches! They are full seat with pigskin and wear like no tomorrow and look good! I have been riding in mine for almost two years! LOVE THEM!
Smooth Stride | Horse Riding Jeans, Pants, and Apparel for Women | Boise, Idaho

A knack for horses 11-28-2010 01:18 AM

Well, I'm 6'4"... :lol: yeah, can't say that with a straight face, I'm 6'3" :roll:.

I feel even shorter now because when i went shopping the other day, I tried on junior jeans that are specifically sized for short girls, and they were still long on me!!! And I like the lower rise jeans, but when was the "hair" line officially made the new waist line? Seriously? I'm a classy cowgirl, not a hoocy mamma.

I'm definately making a trip to our local farm stores and trying on some jeans. I think they only carry Wranglers and Levis, but I've gotta start somewhere.