The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How do these three look? OPINIONS PLEASE? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-do-these-three-look-opinions-71827/)

poultrygirl 11-28-2010 11:27 PM

How do these three look? OPINIONS PLEASE?

2 Attachment(s)
These are three horses in the fallon Nevada feedlot. They're cheap, and if they don't get adopted, they go on the slaughter truck tomorrow night. It just seems like a shame. Being the idiot I am, still on the quest for an arab, I accidently stumbled across these and am sitting here in thought after contacting the rescue lady.
All right--everyone who looks at confirmation, legs, hips, etc on a daily basis..these photos are crappy..but based on them what do you think of them health wise? Sick? Lame? or maybe just scared?
1# Attachment 47479 Gray 1/2 arab, 14 yrs old, supposedly really well broke and the girl at the feedlot was riding him around.
2#Attachment 47480 Bay 5 year old mare. Started, supposedly. According to the contact at the feedlot she quote "He says that she is very typey, friendly and cute. He said that she has a small scar on her hind cannon bone but it doesnt bother her at all. An old scrape." Would that be an indicator of lameness? What do you think? :-(
3# Third one wont upload bah humbug.
But what do you think of the other two? Sick? Or just scared? I could get the two of them for less than what it would cost to buy someone else's problem horse, and know they're not going to get eaten.

corinowalk 11-28-2010 11:51 PM

The first, the grey is IMO a much nicer looking horse.

He has a nice shoulder, good pasterns. Not to mention he is said to be well broke.

The bay isn't as nice. Looks to have a fairly upright shoulder. That back leg does concern me. A scar is a scar. The way she is holding that leg just doesn't look right. Her pasterns look rather short and upright...that combined with an upright shoulder could make for one heck of a jack hammer trot.

They both need weight...they both need to see a farrier....they both need vet checks and they both probably need their teeth attended to. If I had to pick, I would go with the grey.

poultrygirl 11-29-2010 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 47481 AHA! Finally! Number 3 loads...What do you think of this one?

loosie 11-29-2010 12:19 AM

I too reckon the grey is a nicer looking beast. Altho the second horse may be partly due to her being that age & also too thin, perhaps worm burden. The 'shoulder angle' could be due to her heels appearing high. Looks like an injury on that near back leg too.

I don't think, from this pic at least, that the grey looks like she needs weight. She looks possibly well covered - if not well muscled - to me.

3rd one looks quite young. Perhaps more solid looking, but gangly because of age & lack of weight & muscle. Honestly tho, not much can be told from one pic & a couple of lines.

mysticdragon72 11-29-2010 12:24 AM

I would have to agree with what corino stated. #2 looks to me like she's lame in that rear leg as she's not resting on it... it looks to me like she's favoring it. They ALL need weight as well as some TLC but I prefer #1. If it was me I'd want to put my hands ALL OVER each of them to see just how sound they truly are... also, if you can get them all for cheap I would, if for nothing else then to just give that second horse at least a few hours of love before you put her down humanely instead of letting her get sent off to slaughter. Not so sure about the third one though, doesn't look lame but doesn't look in good health either. I'd still take all three, have the vet out, give them all some good feed and go from there. If nothing else you've at least saved them from a miserable death!

corinowalk 11-29-2010 12:24 AM

Could just be the picture but the last horse looks pretty young to me.

I am not saying they are deathly thin...but on both of them, I can see a somewhat prominent tail head and atleast with the grey...a sunken hip. They both look to me like they could just use a little TLC and a meal or two.

Chele11 11-29-2010 01:42 AM

The Gray. Definitely the Gray. Those other two - poor souls.

Spastic_Dove 11-29-2010 01:52 AM

I really like the grey. I can't even see the third one.

No idea if the grey has any soundness issues but I like the look of her from that picture.

luvs2ride1979 11-29-2010 08:00 AM

I think they look really cute. I like the conformation on the gray better than the bay. The bay's shoulder is more upright and his hocks are higher off the ground, BUT his withers are higher (making him lighter in front) and he looks "calmer." If you can aford thier vet bills and rehab, I would definitely snatch them! They both need weight, likely need teeth done and deworming, and all their vaccinations. Their feet done look too bad at least, just need a regular trimming.

Let us know if you get them!

luvs2ride1979 11-29-2010 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poultrygirl (Post 832872)
Attachment 47481 AHA! Finally! Number 3 loads...What do you think of this one?

Looks very young and a bit "surly." The gray would be by pick as well, though if it were me, I'd probably get all three, lol.