The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   REAL Work Clothes for Women? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/real-work-clothes-women-71875/)

Eolith 11-29-2010 02:53 PM

REAL Work Clothes for Women?

So I'm sure that many of you horse girls out there spend plenty of time around the barn and outdoors getting things done, from mucking stalls to bucket cleaning, fence maintenance and far beyond. I've been keeping an eye out for some sturdy work clothes that will go the distance while getting things like this done, but I've noticed something disappointing.

I was in the feed store looking at jeans. They were Carhartt, which (correct me if I'm mistaken) is a brand that prides itself on no-nonsense get the job done well clothing. I felt the material of the women's jeans. I felt the material of the men's jeans. Guess what? The men's jeans were clearly made from heavier duty material.

Am I the only one who is rather annoyed by this? Carhartt certainly isn't the only one like this... I find that the vast majority of brands do this. So... where's a hardworking woman to go if she wants clothing equal to the boys', but tailored to suit her figure?

Speed Racer 11-29-2010 02:56 PM

I buy men's work clothing, even gloves.

For some reason, even the work clothes manufacturers think we women apparently just 'dabble' and don't really work as hard as our male counterparts.

Besides, the men's stuff is usually cheaper. It doesn't have all the color choices and flowery crap that makes the women's stuff cost so much more.

Spastic_Dove 11-29-2010 02:57 PM

My carhart jacket and coveralls are both from the mens section, just in small sizes. I found the same thing and it just drove me nuts. I don't want to spend the money on something that isn't going to last me.

Eolith 11-29-2010 03:05 PM

That sounds decent, my only concern would be whether the men's jeans fit wider hips and curvier figures well enough.

smrobs 11-29-2010 03:09 PM

Exactly. I have also started buying mens clothes for working. What I found is that not only are women's clothes lower quality for heavy work but they are just not practical for what I do. I do a lot of riding and roping and tacking up and un-tacking and I am constantly lifting my arms over my head. I used to buy women's button up shirts but I got so frustrated by the fact that the bodies on them are so short that they come untucked whenever I lift my arms at all. The sleeves run really short too. In order to get sleeves long enough to be comfortable, I had to buy a shirt that was twice or three times my size in the body. Which wouldn't be quite so terrible if it would stay tucked in, but it won't. So I started getting men's shirts that have the longer tails and the longer sleeves. No more coming untucked for me.

Then the women's jeans all have the 'boot cut' legs on them now, which is total crap because when I get my size and length that I need, the hem on the legs is so big around that they are constantly sliding over the heel of my boot and the only way to stop it is to wear spurs, which I don't like to do unless I really need them. It was either spurs or buy them shorter and when I buy them shorter, they tend to twist around and ride up my leg when I ride and rub sores on my legs.

So to avoid all the headaches that women's clothes cause me, I just started buying men's clothes and I haven't had a problem since. Sorry for the whole rant but it just frustrates me that all the women's clothes are designed to be fashionable instead of functional and men's are the exact opposite.

Eolith 11-29-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 833593)
Sorry for the whole rant but it just frustrates me that all the women's clothes are designed to be fashionable instead of functional and men's are the exact opposite.

Rant away, girl! That's what this whole thread is about.

smrobs 11-29-2010 03:14 PM

Eolith, I am less concerned with looking good when I am working. I still get women's clothes for town and going out but not work anymore. It was more difficult to find men's jeans that fit me (without the waist coming up to my boobs), and you're right, they aren't designed to fit the curves and show them off. I guess I am lucky that I have more of a boxy figure than some women.

Eolith 11-29-2010 03:26 PM

I'm not concerned with flattering the curves, just avoiding uncomfortable restriction/pulling around them... or a really loose waist that has to be cinched together with a belt and results in uncomfortable folds in the fabric.

Comfort is my priority! ^_^

smrobs 11-29-2010 03:35 PM

LOL. I hear you. That's why I searched for the shortest waisted men's jeans I could find. I usually wear my pants right on my hip bones and anything taller than that drives me nuts, but if they are too long through the body, then you end up with the crotch down to your knees :lol:.

This is what I found and fell in love with
Wrangler George Strait Cowboy Cut Original Fit Jeans | Cavender's Boot City.
The legs are more of a semi-relaxed fit but they are so comfy.

Alwaysbehind 11-29-2010 03:36 PM

Relaxed fit is your friend.

Try on different brands and different cuts until you find one that fits over your shape.

I find the relaxed fit cut tend to accommodate my larger thighs/hips well.