The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Conditioning. (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/conditioning-7189/)

amightytarzan5 03-23-2008 02:56 PM

Conditioning.

I'm wanting to train my horse to jump, but he's not in the best condition. He's been riden on and off for the past 5 years, and hasn't been ridden at all hardly in the past 6 months. I'm not sure the conditioning I need to get him in jumping shape.

xoLivxo 03-23-2008 03:08 PM

to get him into shape....RIDE HIM!! haha just start getting him back INTO shape, do all kins of exersises, drills, ect

amightytarzan5 03-23-2008 05:53 PM

well i knew that. i meant getting in shape for jumping. like do i start him over 1 foot, then go up? or smaller?

tiffanyp1980 03-23-2008 07:00 PM

Ground rails start with them walk, trot, canter. Get him happy and well gaited and not skittish over those then go to little crossrails and so on.

xoLivxo 03-23-2008 07:01 PM

yeah, just work your way up, start with simple poles on the ground, raise them even smaller than 1 foot, and just work your way up there. talk to trainers for more advie :wink:

amightytarzan5 03-23-2008 07:48 PM

i would talk to trainers, but i know no one around where i live that rides english. i'm pretty much by myself, but i don't think it will be that hard.

JustDressageIt 03-23-2008 09:56 PM

If this horse is really out of shape, start with walk/trot, more walk than trot for 10 mins, then once he's built up some stamina you can move to about 50/50 for about 20 mins, then add some canter in... you get the point.
Start with ground rails first to just get him to realize where his feet are... then I would work with crossrails for a while to make him jump in the center of the fence. You want to work on getting in the box at lower heights.
Once you're both comfortable jumping about 1' to 18" and consistently jumping in the box, then you can move up.

hunterequlover781 03-24-2008 12:31 AM

Like everyone has been saying you need to start slow. Start with easy rides for a short time and get him to where he is doing nicely on the flat. Then start working over ground poles in both dirrections. Once he gets comfortable with that start troting a crossrail. Then start jumping small lines and courses. Hill work is very good for strengthening a horses muscles. It will really give him nice strong butt and hind leg muscles which will greatly help his movement and form over fences.

amightytarzan5 03-24-2008 12:37 AM

he's not horribly out of shape, just not in jumping shape. this really helped me guys, thanks a bunch! all of my friends ride western, so i had no clue who to ask! but y'all really helped!

AKPaintLover 03-24-2008 02:18 PM

In addition to what others have said, you can do hill work and focus on engaging the hind when riding flat. That will help strengthen those jumping muscles. :)