The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bored Horse and Rider: Possible Games/Exercises? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bored-horse-rider-possible-games-exercises-71906/)

xxJustJumpItxx 11-29-2010 08:09 PM

Bored Horse and Rider: Possible Games/Exercises?

Y'all are probably getting tired of hearing about my little OTTB mare, haha! But I need help with her...
She and I are both getting bored with the same 'ole, same 'ole. Everytime I ride her it's fighting on the flat, going over a few fences, and then walking out along the road. Same thing every time I ride her. Nothing's getting better in terms of her training and she even seems to be going backwards.
We are both tired of doing nothing. I can tell she's getting bored because she acts up (bolts, bucks, spins, etc) which she's never done before. Nothing's changed either, except I'm riding/working her a bit less (4x a week instead of 6x). We need some constructive spice in our routine. I can't vary our environment much as we've been on every "trail" there is to go on around the place and she's been everywhere I can safely get her. I don't have a trailer and I'm on a very tight budget which has made training her hard.
Basically I'm asking for fun and constructive exercises to switch things up for us. She's very stiff and trying to bend her is like trying to bend a 2x4, haha! So exercises to encourage her to stretch and bend would be great!
So I'm looking for:
-confidence builders
-trust builders
-fun "games"
-stretching exercises

I feel like I'm asking a lot of y'all, but I know y'all never mind helping (((:
Thank you so much!

Supermane 11-29-2010 09:56 PM

Serpentines (at the trot and canter), figure 8's (again at the trot and canter), leg yielding, spiraling circles (either starting small and working out or starting big and working in), and of course working on collection and extension (I like to ask them to extend down the long side and then collect down the short side)

I do all of this with my TB to keep him interested. Also, if you have fields with hills trotting those is get for their hind quarters and it's really fun.

MyBoyPuck 11-29-2010 10:37 PM

Play 8 strides. Every 8 strides, do something different. Change gait, speed, move sideways, anything different every 8 strides. It really makes you stay a step ahead of your horse and greatly helps fine tune your cues or you simply cannot make the changes quickly enough.

site4pets 11-30-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxJustJumpItxx (Post 833993)
Y'all are probably getting tired of hearing about my little OTTB mare, haha! But I need help with her...
She and I are both getting bored with the same 'ole, same 'ole. Everytime I ride her it's fighting on the flat, going over a few fences, and then walking out along the road. Same thing every time I ride her. Nothing's getting better in terms of her training and she even seems to be going backwards.
We are both tired of doing nothing. I can tell she's getting bored because she acts up (bolts, bucks, spins, etc) which she's never done before. Nothing's changed either, except I'm riding/working her a bit less (4x a week instead of 6x). We need some constructive spice in our routine. I can't vary our environment much as we've been on every "trail" there is to go on around the place and she's been everywhere I can safely get her. I don't have a trailer and I'm on a very tight budget which has made training her hard.
Basically I'm asking for fun and constructive exercises to switch things up for us. She's very stiff and trying to bend her is like trying to bend a 2x4, haha! So exercises to encourage her to stretch and bend would be great!
So I'm looking for:
-confidence builders
-trust builders
-fun "games"
-stretching exercises

Thank you so much!

I recommend trying other sports, even if not competitive. You can set up trail courses in your backyard with logs, "spooky" items, and little tasks you have to do like putting something in a bucket, picking and dropping tings, roping a post, stuff like that. If you got water near by you can walk through it. I know that isnt that helpful but thats what i did with my horse last summer when i was bored.

ozhorseman 12-01-2010 05:18 AM

COnsider soing some games off your horse. There are a huge amount of exercises you can do on your ground that will enhance your training when you get back on.

Why not try training some practical things like opening a gate. Break down everything you would require to open a gate- a leg yield, leaning off the horse, standing still while you unlatch the gate.....

sonnygrl 12-02-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxJustJumpItxx (Post 833993)
So I'm looking for:
-confidence builders
-trust builders
-fun "games"
-stretching exercises

Thank you so much!

the stiffness is something you should work on with her first. as soon as you mount up just sit on her back and flex her neck left and right until she gives will minimal presure. ( flex her so her nose touches your boot) (when she gives to the preasue, release rite away) teaching her leg yields will help ALOT. if she dosent already know them, saddle up and stand on the ground with your reins in hand. take a crop and tickle her side where you leg would be, if nothing tap lightly then slightly increase the pressure untill she steps away. it will be very little at first maybe just a front leg crossing over ect. keep doing this on the ground untill she will listen with a tickle on both sides and steps over compleatly. next youll get on her back and simple ask with your leg for her to side pass over. the next thing youll do is at a nice walk ask for the pass. this will be your half pass. also use this cue to keep her body along the rail and when coming into a turn, apply your inside leg and bend her neck. she should bend nicely. do lots of circles apply the inside leg to keep her body bent and of couse apply preasure to the inside rein as well. you should just be able to the her eye or nostrol on the inside if you see more than that she is over bent and less than that shes not bent at all. time and practice is key this will all be hard for her so take your time and do it slow. hope that helps if you have questions pm me

RhapsGirl 12-04-2010 02:09 AM

Some stretching exercises for on the ground:

Take your lead rope and pull it towards her withers, which should bend her neck. Lots of horses object to this at first (they back up) but mine got it fairly quickly. Just stay with them and keep the pressure.
Pieces of carrot also works for the food hogs. (lol)

Be sure to release as soon as they bend.

AlexS 12-04-2010 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 834175)
Play 8 strides. Every 8 strides, do something different. Change gait, speed, move sideways, anything different every 8 strides. It really makes you stay a step ahead of your horse and greatly helps fine tune your cues or you simply cannot make the changes quickly enough.

Awesome advise that I will use with my horse. Thanks for the idea.

VelvetsAB 12-04-2010 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 834175)

Also going to use this! Thanks Puck.

OP: You have said yourself that you are doing the same ol' same ol'. Isnt that boring for you as well? You cant just stay on the track and go in circles...you have to mix it up!

Set up some jump standards (off set...one near the track one 15 feet away 10 feet off the track...next one back near the track another 15 feet beyond that) and bend around them. Make sure your horse is straight in the middle before asking for the bend the other way. Put ground poles in a circle and trot over them keeping in the middle. Be random. Circle. Halt. Leg yeild. Turn on the forehand. Turn on the haunches. Walk. Canter. Trot. Walk. Canter. Counter canter.

AlexS 12-04-2010 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VelvetsAB (Post 839774)
Also going to use this! Thanks Puck.

I like Puck too, he/she sounds sane with a lot of knowledge. I am going to start a petition to make him/her post in the Saloon.