The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Have you experienced anything like this? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/have-you-experienced-anything-like-71916/)

HowClever 11-29-2010 09:49 PM

Have you experienced anything like this?

Sorry for the vague title I wasn't sure how to title it.

As some of you may know we recently lost one of our horses, Trojan. He had a pre-existing spinal injury that was rapidly getting worse, so the decision was made to let him go before the pain got too bad.

Now a little bit of back story here. Approximately 10 months ago I brought home a 20 y/o Standardbred gelding (21 now) who was in a bad situation. I wormed him, had his feet done and gave him some groceries, pretty much gave him a new lease on life. He had been sassy and happy ever since.

One of the first things he did when I introduced him to the herd, was buddy up with Trojan. Those 2 went absolutely everywhere together, (on one occasion even busting out of the paddock together and running rampant on the neighbours property).

Ever since Trojan has been gone though, it seems Kody is going downhill fast. His arthritis is taking hold, he's grumpy and 2 days ago pulled up lame on his right front leg. It seems that without Trojan, he is getting old really fast. I am worried that we are going to lose him soon too.

I guess my long winded ramble is really just leading up to this. Have any of you ever had a horse that went down hill after losing their buddy? What was the outcome?

ShutUpJoe 11-29-2010 09:58 PM

Yes, a place I used to board had a matched set of Percheron geldings. One died, just passed in the field one day, and the other started going down hill really quickly. He had to put down a month after the other horse.

Hope it doesn't happen to your guy : (

lilruffian 11-29-2010 10:00 PM

I'd get a vet out just to rule any real problems out... if it is depression which all animals can go through, the best thing for him would be to have another good buddy (nothing that will boss him around though).

HowClever 11-29-2010 10:34 PM

The hard thing is that Kody has never taken to any of the other horses. In fact he seems to dislike all of the other horses. He and Trojan were very loyal to each other.

We have just had to pull him out of the paddock with the others, as every time we thought we could see some improvement in his sore leg he would go flying after one of the other horses, teeth bared and hurt himself all over again.

To be honest, I have a bad feeling that this isn't going to end well and I am so not ready to lose another horse. :cry:

HowClever 11-30-2010 03:44 AM

any other experiences?
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 11-30-2010 03:50 AM

My only thought is that maybe since he doesn't have a friend to chum around with, he is becoming more sedentary and that is what's causing his arthritis to flare up. I wonder if maybe getting him out more and finding some fun things to do with him (either under saddle or groundwork) would help to liven him up some. Maybe take him for hand walks around the neighborhood or countryside or pony him on a slow trail ride a few times a week. I don't have any personal experience with a situation like you are in but I have heard of quite a few instances like that.

HowClever 11-30-2010 04:53 AM

Thanks smrobs, I will try and get him moving around a bit. I have just started him on MSM and calciplex bone and joint plus. So hopefully will see some improvement with them as well. Fingers crossed!
Posted via Mobile Device

Alwaysbehind 11-30-2010 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 834581)
My only thought is that maybe since he doesn't have a friend to chum around with, he is becoming more sedentary and that is what's causing his arthritis to flare up. I wonder if maybe getting him out more and finding some fun things to do with him (either under saddle or groundwork) would help to liven him up some. Maybe take him for hand walks around the neighborhood or countryside or pony him on a slow trail ride a few times a week. I don't have any personal experience with a situation like you are in but I have heard of quite a few instances like that.

I agree with smrobs.

Does he truly not like any of the other horses? What would happen if you picked one and turned him out with just that one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowClever (Post 834171)
To be honest, I have a bad feeling that this isn't going to end well and I am so not ready to lose another horse. :cry:

If you do end up putting him down you can do it knowing that you showed him tons of love at the end and you made his last time here very wonderful.

MaggiStar 11-30-2010 01:18 PM

A yard i workeda t had two ponies and my god they were best buddies shared a stable together, went everywhere you couldnt take one with out they other they were super attached!
Well one went down with colic and had to PTS a month the the day his buddie just passed away. It was heartbreaking to watch him at the end he had no life left in him at all the vet didnt think he had the energy to fight anything so any kind of infection etc could have taken hold

Katesrider011 11-30-2010 02:00 PM

We had a qh (Minnie) and an appy (Sooner) together awhile back when I was younger. The qh died at 22 of an illness of some sort, vet couldn't do much about it. And that Minnie and sooner were Best friends, Sooner was never the same since and soon went downhill. Died about a year later. But I think it was mainly old age cause sooner was 33 when she died, but I did notice a change in her after the minnie died too. But did that lead to her death, I don't think so. I was around 13 when this happened though. Only about 4 years ago maybe 5.