The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Drum Horses... I have a chance to buy. (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/drum-horses-i-have-chance-buy-71934/)

mysticdragon72 11-30-2010 12:18 AM

Drum Horses... I have a chance to buy.

Ever since I was a little girl I have been fascinated by the Gypsy/Drum horses and, as usual for me, they happen to be more expensive than I could ever hope to be able to pay. So for years I have just admired and drooled over the photos that I have seen of them... well, I might have the oportunity to be able to purchase a Drum horse. Well, not technically... it isn't a horse just yet. ;) What I mean is that I have been contacted by a family friend who knows my love of the breeds and she recently started a breeding facility for the Drum horses. They are apparently rare in North America and that is probably why they are so expensive!

Anyways, what she offered is this.. she would breed her stallion who is registered with the ADHA and listed on their website as an approved breeding stallion, to a registered Drum mare she has. This would cost me $2500. The great part about it is the fact that I only have to put down $500 at the time of the breeding and then once the foal is born I have until he/she is weaned to make payments for the rest of the 2500. The bad part about it is she is located in Alberta, Canada and I am located in Pennsylvania! :(

She says that she has shipped horses all over North America and so I asked her how much it might cost to ship a weanling that far... she said that it shouldn't be over 1800 plus the paperwork fees for crossing the border.

My question is this, would you enter into this contract to purchase a horse that hasn't even been born yet and then hope that by the time he/she is ready to be shipped to you that you can afford the shipping fees? That's almost two years and who knows what might happen between now and then... only thing is that this might be the only chance I'll ever get to purchase a Drum horse... I'm curious what y'all might do in this situation.

PintoTess 11-30-2010 12:23 AM

wow that is cheap for a Drum horse!!!! i would buy her if she seems right as they are sooooo rare!

Brighteyes 11-30-2010 12:27 AM

Though relatively cheap, 2500 isn't something I would want to mess around with. If possible, I would go see the future sire and dam before purchase, to get a feel for what the baby may turn out as. Otherwise, it sounds like a good deal in the making. :D

mysticdragon72 11-30-2010 12:32 AM

That's what I was thinking too but when you figure in the cost of shipping and border crossing fees as well as vet bills/foal care until weaning you get pretty close to the average cost I've seen for Drum horses... at least the one's I've seen listed on the internet in my little bit of pricing research. My main issue is with the trade my hubby is in, HVAC, I never know from one year to the next whether he'll have a job... right now his job seems secure as he just got a raise and his boss has told him that he'll never fire him.. but you just never know when the bottom will drop out of the market and the construction trades are usually the first to feel the blow from any changes there... I'm seriously considering it though!! :)

mysticdragon72 11-30-2010 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighteyes (Post 834451)
Though relatively cheap, 2500 isn't something I would want to mess around with. If possible, I would go see the future sire and dam before purchase, to get a feel for what the baby may turn out as. Otherwise, it sounds like a good deal in the making. :D

I agree with the fact that 2500 isn't all that cheap... although I would love to be able to see the possible parents in person they are just too far away to make that a reality... so I'm left with looking at photos of them instead. The stallion is black and white and just beautiful and the mare is a grayed out bay and white. She's only 5 and is a maiden mare so I don't have any photos of her previous foals but I do have a photo of her as a foal... and I also have photos of the sire's babies from other mares. I wasn't so sure about the possible graying of the baby as the bold markings are what stands out as a trait of the drum horses... I have changed my mind about that however as I don't really care what color he/she might be.. what's important is the temperment and overall health/conformation so that the foal can be registered.

PintoTess 11-30-2010 01:28 AM

oh i forgot to add that i wouldnt enter a contract like that....anything could happen and you may never gte your Horse. and also what if somthings happens to the horse on the way on the boat/plane? and i meant that i cheap just for a rare horse but fogot to add all the shipping fees and vet checks may be a skyrocket in price!

mysticdragon72 12-01-2010 12:14 AM

Well we have decided against doing this... only due to the shipping costs.

drafts4ever 12-02-2010 01:26 AM

If you find a drum horse in your area and you can afford him/her I'd definantely say go for it! I just bought my drum mare and she cost me a pretty peny but it was well worth it. I know someday in the future I'll get that back in achievements even if it's not in physical cash (although it would be nice haha).
She's an amazing horse. I love her to pieces. She makes a great match with my clydesdale and gets along with everything.