The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Western Pleasure Horses . . . whats the point. . . . (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/western-pleasure-horses-whats-point-71972/)

Luv My Quarter Horse 11-30-2010 04:09 PM

Western Pleasure Horses . . . whats the point. . . .

of listening to people bash our stock WP horses. In this forum you an talk about anything from fake tails to bridles to training tequniques (sp.) without worring about bashing and rashing. Post pictures of you beloved WP horse nad any accomplishments. Talk about show, classes, and mistakes.

Ray MacDonald 11-30-2010 04:22 PM

Sucky you feel that way. I personally love WP horses and will be training Ducky in it when spring comes. And I would love to see pics of them!

Luv My Quarter Horse 11-30-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald (Post 835241)
Sucky you feel that way. I personally love WP horses and will be training Ducky in it when spring comes. And I would love to see pics of them!

i don't know if you actually read my post but i said whats the point of listening to people bash our stock horses i love my AQHA WP horse to death. . . i think you had a minor miscommuntiation . ..

Ray MacDonald 11-30-2010 05:22 PM

It sounded like you were kinda upset about people bashing WP horses?

Luv My Quarter Horse 11-30-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald (Post 835325)
It sounded like you were kinda upset about people bashing WP horses?

Yea i hate when people bash on them and say things that are generalized and from no backround knoldge(sp) . . .

Ray MacDonald 11-30-2010 06:31 PM

Knowledge lol Yeah I do remember seeing a thread not that long ago about WP and how they were trained. Do you know how to train them?

sorelhorse 12-01-2010 06:19 PM

yay. finally an un-bashing post. lol. Sorry, for some reason my comp could not let me read your messages.

Is anyone going to paint or pinto worlds this year??

ShadowSpazzz 04-05-2011 09:41 PM

Oh my gosh I know!! I hate the way some people bash WP. . .we love our horses just like they do. lol

misskingraven 04-23-2011 02:56 AM

Well, I am new to western pleasure, and I was thinking of doing some small shows later on in the year so I have a couple of questions!
1) Do the WP horses in small classes have to do the 'peanut roller' thing they do it high up classes? I am not sure if that is the right word for it too :O
2) What if your horse does not neck rein, can you do it 2 handed? (I am teaching my horse how to neck rein right now)
3) Do I need super nice saddles with the silver on them for starting out, or will my roping saddle work?
4) How low does the horses head have to be?
5) Are there special bits involved in the small horse shows?

Keep in mind that this is really low level stuff, not anything fancy and high up there :-)

Sahara 04-23-2011 11:21 AM

I don't think the peanut roller look is desirable at any show level. The goal of a WP horse is a level, rounded topline moving with cadence and rhythm at all gaits. Ears should not dip lower or higher than the withers for more than a stride or two. Once the horse turns 5 it must be shown in a curb bit with an indirect rein. Under 5, they can be ridden with a direct rein. In a local show, you can use whatever tack you want. If you want to be taken seriously by the judges you need to have appropriate tack. If you just want to have fun with your horse at local shows, don't let the tack stop you! Hope that helps!