The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Does anyone own this driving harness? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/does-anyone-own-driving-harness-72001/)

site4pets 11-30-2010 10:37 PM

Does anyone own this driving harness?

I was looking to get a driving harness, since the local farm gave us a cart little open2 person cart that they didnt use anymore (1 horse) I was wondering if anyone owned it, and if so what did they think the quality of it was here is the amazon.com link to it-

http://www.amazon.com/Tough-Basic-Nylon-Driving-Harness/dp/B002HI77QS/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1291169817&sr=1-5

WickedNag 12-01-2010 04:14 PM

Personally, I only use leather for my horses. That would include harnesses and my tack.

mooney 12-02-2010 11:27 AM

Be careful of nylon. The place that I use to work bought two or three for training the younger horses and they were horrible, and had to have the bridle changed because the blinkers (blinders?) attachly flapped into their eyes, or were to close. Other than that the harness was okay, but only for light use. Go for leather or biothan (spelling?) if you want something that will last longer than a year or two. Even than beware of old used leather harnesses, offend they haven't been taken care of properly.

site4pets 12-02-2010 01:15 PM

Thanks for you alls opinions, i will look on amazon then for a new leather one. I mostly asked because i know lots of people say nylon wasnt good anyways, Thanks!

Alwaysbehind 12-02-2010 01:17 PM

I have no opinion on that harness.

I am just curious about what Mooney posted. Nylon is pretty tough. Why do you say it does not last?

churumbeque 12-02-2010 01:42 PM

You get what you pay for no matter what it is made of

Alwaysbehind 12-02-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churumbeque (Post 837598)
You get what you pay for no matter what it is made of

Laugh...well not always but good point.

mooney 12-02-2010 03:22 PM

Always, what I mean by it not lasting long is that once nylon get a small rip or cut it starts to fray really quickly offer riping even more. Offend it isn't worth fixing, but if the same happen to a leather harness or biothan you already put $1000 or so into it so, it is more than worth fixing. Biothan and leather cut but it doesn't ruin the whole piece, like fraying would. This is just my opinion though, I rather have a harness that you don't have to worry about if you need extra holes (a problem we had becasue of training young horses and ponies we had to make them work) it would cause fraying from the hole if not melted right after.

Alwaysbehind 12-02-2010 03:44 PM

I agree that nylon is low end equipment.

But it does have the bonus of being pretty indestructible, that is why I did not understand your post.

Fraying is easily dealt with my melting ends.

I (hopefully) will be shopping for a harness myself soon. I agree that nylon is not the best product. I have just never had anyone say nylon does not last. Lasting is one of its good points. It lasts with little to no care.

mooney 12-02-2010 03:51 PM

yeah the nylon is indestructable (spelling?), but when I say fraying I mean when it gets a cut through the width of the straps, causing it to weaken, when you get it sewn together it doesn't have the same quailities. I am just talking from my own experience it could be totally different from someone elses. as we would never use a nylon one for other that one and a while jogs in the cart and training the young ones. Most of ours are biothan (that can't be broken and doesn't need conditioning and cleaning all the time). I am not sure of the prices though since all of ours were custome made for the teams.

But a quality nylon harness could easily last you a long time depending on its use and care. You get what you pay for. Good luck finding your harness!