The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Do you use winter hoods on your horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/do-you-use-winter-hoods-your-72016/)

Piaffe 12-01-2010 12:14 AM

Do you use winter hoods on your horses?

I am trying to decide whether or not I might put a winter hood on one of my mares. Do you use a hood? Why? Just at night or during the day as well? Thanks:D

VelvetsAB 12-01-2010 12:34 AM

My Grandparents and I only use hoods when we are trailering too and from the races.

The barn I ride at doesnt use hoods, except for maybe a slinky type hood the day before a show. Some of the blankets have the high necks on them, but no actual hoods.

Piaffe 12-01-2010 01:24 AM

Hmmm...the one i am considering is a heavier waterproof hood just because it has been rainy/snowy.....dont want her freezing.....or to overheat her either :/
Thx

SallyRC123 12-01-2010 01:33 AM

I have never used a hood but have heard plenty of horror stories with horses getting caught, or the hood becoming pulled over the horses eyes, going through paddock fences and all sorts :S People generally use hoods (lycra hoods) to 'train' the horses mane to sit on one side, as well as keeping the face etc clean HOWEVER, if you are just looking to keep your horse warm then a combo rug would do the job :)

I've never seen a water proof hood though?

Piaffe 12-01-2010 01:40 AM

O_o hmmmm.... I think i will skip out on it. It is a heavy hood! Possibly came off a combo blanket or something? Not sure...bought it used awhile back. Guess ill get rid of it ;)

Thanks for the info!

Gidget 12-01-2010 03:39 AM

ohhh geez.I didn't think of that. I have two hoods(light weight)...maybe I won't use them after all.

faye 12-01-2010 06:26 AM

I only ever use a lycra hood in a stable the night before a show.

Reeco has no winter coat at all. He is currently wearing a full nueck fleece rug and a full neck heavyweight turnout over the top of it. It is -20 celcius here at night at the moment and the stupid pony still has his summer coat so is rugged heavily from just behind his ears backwards.

QHDragon 12-01-2010 08:12 AM

The only time I use any type of hood is a sleezy before shows, but otherwise I think hoods are a little silly, and the only place I ever saw use them was a fancy AQHA show barn where their main concern was the coat fading, or if they wanted to sweat a horse's neck. If I were you I would just stick to a nice blanket.

~*~anebel~*~ 12-01-2010 11:13 AM

I can only use connected hoods with my horse (he pulls the connectible ones off). He is shaved except for his legs, belly and head so i need to keep the rest of him covered in lieu of fur. I have a Weatherbeeta Arion that I love and have had no issues with horses injuring themselves with. I'm also looking into the Rambo Plus for a new blanket.
Of course, if you're putting a head condom
(http://www.getprice.com.au/images/up...raHoodMain.jpg) on them and turning them out with it they're going to do something stupid. Just a neck hood and they're not going to be able to do anything with it except wreck it.

barrelracer892 12-01-2010 11:20 AM

My winter blankets have a neck on them. It's not lycra material though. I only blanket my boys when it gets in the single digits or low, low double digits. Like 11 degrees Fahrenheit or lower, which is extremely cold for my area. The neck snaps together with plastic buckles so it can break easily if it gets caught on something, but I have nothing in my pasture for it to get caught on.