The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Please confo critique Lakota (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/please-confo-critique-lakota-72099/)

TheRoughrider21 12-01-2010 08:24 PM

Please confo critique Lakota

3 Attachment(s)
I was wondering if you guys could critique Lakota. I'm going to do dressage with him in the spring and he's a 5 year old Morab/PaintxDraft. I understand these might not be the best pictures...he doesn't understand the concept of standing square or standing still for very long and my mom was taking the pictures...and she doesn't really know how to use my camera. Thanks!

Cowgirl101 12-02-2010 05:16 PM

Being honest here.

I love you colors very love. She look well built. She body is long and she has short legs. I might be crazy.. She look like a good runner.

TheRoughrider21 12-02-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowgirl101 (Post 837934)
Being honest here.

I love you colors very love. She look well built. She body is long and she has short legs. I might be crazy.. She look like a good runner.

She is actually a he. And you think his body's long? Maybe it's just me but I always thought he had a short back, nice and compact. He likes to run and his canter looks smooth, haven't gotten the chance to try it out yet.

Cowgirl101 12-02-2010 11:29 PM

So sorry for the gender mix up. :-(

AlexS 12-03-2010 12:54 AM

I have been around horses all my life, about 30 yrs, I read the critique thread but I don't post as I don't know nearly as much as others do, while I would like to find a way to suck out their knowledge.

I wish I could suggest my idea of not posting if you are not sure to others.

TheRoughrider21 12-05-2010 08:47 AM

Just a friendly bump! I'd really like if someone could critique him. Thanks!

TheRoughrider21 12-09-2010 08:12 PM

Bump!!! I'd love to get a critique on him

neonpony 12-09-2010 10:19 PM

Ok...first off, I'm no confo pro. This is just stuff I learned when I was horse shopping and over time.

That said, here are his lines:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...itled-1-01.png

He is slightly downhill, has a short bottom line, and his butt is too big while his shoulder is too small. He's got a very decent shoulder, a bit upright but not by much. And that angle perfectly matches his pasterns and hooves, so that's good. His neck is short and thick. This will make it harder for him to bend and supple and, coupled with his thick body, that would probably make doing things like dressage difficult (not impossible - and it would be good for him - but you'll have to work harder to supple and free him). Thick and coarse throat latch; coarse head; small heartgirth and nostrils. His endurance probably isn't great. I like his legs overall; front may be a little over at the knee and I think he toes out, but it could be the angle. Back leg may be slightly sickle hocked (slightly, slightly). His butt is big, but it looks disproportionate to his body and probably doesn't provide a lot of impulsion because of that. I would work on suppling and a lot of long and low work with him. Get him swinging his legs forward and actually using his butt so he gets some muscle in it. He would probably also benefit from trot poles/cavalletti so he starts lifting his shoulder because it is very small right now.

I like him, he looks sturdy and powerful. He has several problems, but all of them are fairly minor. He looks like he could have a fairly big trot if he got to extending and using himself correctly.

tinyliny 12-09-2010 10:54 PM

I didn't do any "lines" on him but here's what my lil' ol' eye sees:

His back is porportionate to his legs, it appears long only because the neck is short. His feet are a little bit small for the size of his bulk. NIce rear legs with good bend in the hock and good gaskins. Short, thick canon bones and shortish pasterns (strong). Downhill overall and thick neck means harder for him to collect and work under himself. However, lots of baroque horses have thick necks. It's not the end of the world. He is cute and you guys are a really nice pair. You will do just fine with him!

TheRoughrider21 12-11-2010 09:11 AM

^Thanks so much you guys! I really do appreciate it. I wish I could get a video of him moving, he actually works from behind quite nicely as we've been using the Pessoa System a few times. His trot is nice and springy and when he extends...well lets just say my friend who has a dressage horse thats trained to 2nd level told me she'd trade horses with me. =P We've only been working together since mid-July and then thats when I found out that he had a bundle of problems that we had to work through.

We try to work long and low during most of our sessions because he likes working with his head high and he's actually getting better and relaxing down.