The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Foot Pressue (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/foot-pressue-72105/)

TexasBlaze 12-01-2010 10:19 PM

Foot Pressue

My paint mare understands leg pressure to an extend. If i tap her butt she will move it over and when i tap her shoulder she gives to that pressure as well but i feel that she should be even more sensitive to the pressure. She side passes and two tracks but for reining training i need to be able to make her do a half arch. Does anybody know any exercises that would work to really stamp leg pressure into my mares head so she is REALLY sensitive to it?

tinyliny 12-02-2010 12:17 AM

I am not a reiner, but if you just tap the horse, does that mean it is pressure that is applied for a milisec and then off? To me a tap might not be the best cue unless it's a string of taps. Why? becasue it's the cessation of the cue that tells the horse it did the right thing and once it knows this, it should respond better, quicker next time.
If you tap and then stop , waiting for a reply from her, you have given the release when nothing happened to gain it.
I would apply solid pressure or almost annoying tapping that is like a stream of taps, and stop instantly when you get a step over. Pause, start again.

I use solid finger pressure, but now my horse is so sensitive that for the most part I just raise my fingers into a "tapping' place and kind of push on the air between us and cluck or say "over". I stop applying mental pressure the minute I even see him preparing to move over, like shifting his weight onto one leg so he can move the other.

TexasBlaze 12-02-2010 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 837128)
I am not a reiner, but if you just tap the horse, does that mean it is pressure that is applied for a milisec and then off? To me a tap might not be the best cue unless it's a string of taps. Why? becasue it's the cessation of the cue that tells the horse it did the right thing and once it knows this, it should respond better, quicker next time.
If you tap and then stop , waiting for a reply from her, you have given the release when nothing happened to gain it.
I would apply solid pressure or almost annoying tapping that is like a stream of taps, and stop instantly when you get a step over. Pause, start again.

I use solid finger pressure, but now my horse is so sensitive that for the most part I just raise my fingers into a "tapping' place and kind of push on the air between us and cluck or say "over". I stop applying mental pressure the minute I even see him preparing to move over, like shifting his weight onto one leg so he can move the other.

Yea thats what i meant. I guess i said tap as in "i use solid but light pressure on her" instead of just saying it that way. I keep my spur lightly pressed to her barrel until she gives me the action im asking her to do and then release. Sometimes i do have to go in steps and if she is being stubborn i will use driving pressure instead to get her attention

AlexS 12-02-2010 02:55 AM

I had this problem with my OTTB, but for me everything starts from the ground and works its way up.
So to give his hoof, I pressure with my body weight and make him move his weight off that hoof.
Then on a lead rope I pushed til he moved away, then released pressure.
In saddle he should have got it, but he is not the smartest cookie in the batch, so I applied leg pressure while my trainer on the ground pushed him. We worked down the straight line of the arena on both sides. He got it pretty quickly then, even for the dumbest horse in the world.
Hope that helps as it worked for me.