The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Flat and O/F Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/flat-o-f-critique-72146/)

gotxhorses 12-02-2010 01:30 PM

Flat and O/F Critique

7 Attachment(s)
Please critique my riding. I do have a trainer, but I like additional help. After you tell me what you see, could you please help me out by giving me ways to fix my faults. Thanks! (:

Be honest, but please try to be kind.

As for jumping, I have a serious issue of jumping out of the tack and also overjumping, but I am working on fixing it. I'm also doing lots of no stirrup work to strengthen my lower leg.

Also, please no critiques on the neck stretcher. My trainer suggested it.

Picture 1:
Attachment 47777

Picture 2:
Attachment 47778

Picture 3:
Attachment 47779

Picture 4:
Attachment 47780

Picture 5:
Attachment 47781

Picture 6:
Attachment 47782

Picture 7:
Attachment 47783

ErikaLynn 12-02-2010 04:48 PM

I love the tie dye everything you have. Very matchy.

For the flat pictures I think you should try and keep your shoulders back more, and raise your hands up and bend your elbows more. Also in the third picture you have piano hands.

For the jumping, you're right you do come out of the tack too much and jump ahead, but it's good you realize it and are working on fixing it. I think your lower leg slipped a little too far back and your heals need to down more. In the last picture I think you are leaning too far forward, but it's probably because you are jumping ahead. I also think you should raise your stirrups up a hold and half

CocoPazo 12-02-2010 05:01 PM

Try to keep your hands 'soft'. I know it sounds weird, but my trainer described it like this. Act as if the reins were a kitten - you don't want to hold the kitten too tight or you'll crush it, but hold it too gently and you'll drop it.

It practically means you want to be able to feel the horse's mouth, but you don't want to pull at it. Give and take your reins as needed.

I can't say much for jumping. I've only done it a few times, and that was during trail rides with no real training, only a friend telling me what to do.

gotxhorses 12-02-2010 05:49 PM

yeah, thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sure to try them. :) and he's a big puller, too. He likes to try to rip the reins out of your hands and run away. Any suggestions for that? I don't like having such a constant contact, but nothing is working. I do a lot of transitions and half halting and circles, but as soon as we're on a straight away or not circling, he's trying to go go go.

Also, please feel free to critique the horse. It would be much appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device

SlickDirtyDancin 12-03-2010 05:01 AM

No critique here but I adore your tie dye gear and hoodie!!

xXEventerXx 12-03-2010 02:51 PM

last pic is good but dont crest release .. please

try some balencing excersises

~*~anebel~*~ 12-03-2010 03:24 PM

First of all, your hand position is good. The hands do not need ro be raised. Second of all, soft contact comes from the arm, not the hand. The hand should always be closed on the rein with the shoulders rolled back and anchored "into your back pockets". This strong position, but still with soft arms, will discourage the horse from pulling you. If he pulls or jerks and you stay right where you were with only your arms giving, he'll soon get bored. Keep working on transitions, transitions, transitions to get him more responsive to lighter aids. Try to see if you can get him to respond to you barely aiding him to slow down or stop, and without rein aids.

I think as soon as your upper body position is solidified as one peice (think - your hand is stronger than just one finger) and as you work on doing more transitions he will become more responsive to your "slow down" aid and balancing half halt.

Good luck!

gotxhorses 12-03-2010 08:07 PM

Yeah, we've been working on transitions LOTS and also our voice commands in addition to our aids. (Just as a reminder). I'll keep it up. And as for the shoulders back let your arms do the work, my trainer says the same thiing. I for some reason have always rolled my shoulders forward. It's a posture thing too when I'm not riding. So, I'll definitely keep trying to get that cleared up.

And thanks for everyone who likes the tie-dye! I love matching. (:

Anyone else?

Bandera 12-03-2010 09:23 PM

TOTALLY agree with everything anebel said! one more thing to add is in flat bring your legs back as u r in a bit of a chair seat. being in a chair seat can make u pull on your horses mouth as u r not at stable in your seat as u should be.

gotxhorses 12-03-2010 09:48 PM

The chair seat is definitely a problem. I just bought the saddle and it has no knee rolls. So I'm totally thrown off and keep finding that my legs are sliding forward. So, that's another thing I noticed, but thanks for letting me know you see it too! Looks like I'll be taking the stirrups off my saddle for a week or two.