The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   Horse ridden w/o my knowledge or permission (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/horse-ridden-w-o-my-knowledge-72202/)

xhalt63 12-03-2010 12:20 AM

Horse ridden w/o my knowledge or permission

My horse is a coming 4th level dressage mare. She has just been, well, different recently ( not on the same "channel" she usually is). Unlike the real DQs, I have to work and am pretty much the only person who doesn't come during the day. So I just found out that this horseless lady who's only ridden a little huntseat & has awful hands who I thought was taking lessons on the BO's horse has been using mine. Didn't know whether to believe it or not, so checked my saddle, and my stirrup leathers are not where they should be and I have a nice, long scratch on the seat... There's a clinic tomorrow that I'll be "missing" and I get the impression that she'll be riding my horse in the clinic (that I can't attend because of "work"). Must be why her mane & taile were shampooed when I came today- funny, I don't pay for that. So what should I do when I show up tomorrow during this clinic? What is my legal recourse? I have spent thousands on training that is being untrained. My inclination is to show up with my trailer... Can I sue her, the BO or both maybe? I've worked hard to develop my horse- this is theft.

wyominggrandma 12-03-2010 12:45 AM

If you haven't given anyone, including the BO owner permission to have someone ride your horse then I would be moving for the first thing and then having a long discussion about who is going to be paying to get your mare back up to her training level.
I just can't imagine the BO giving someone permission to ride another boarders horse without checking with the owner. I know from reading on here that riding someone elses horse in a stable situation seems to be fairly common, but I would be furious if I found someone riding my horse and using my equipment with out permission. Could the horseless lady have told the BO that you gave her permission?
I would at least expect the BO and the lady taking your horse to have your saddle repaired. I would also expect them to pay to have the hours of training lost by an inexperienced rider put back on the horse whether by you or your trainer putting in the time. I don't know if its considered theft since the horse is not leaving the stable grounds, but I am sure that taking and using someone elses property and horse is not okay.
Maybe check with a lawyer and then show up unexpectantly tomorrow during the clinic with the sheriff beside you to explain about taking somebody's horse and equipment to both the lady using the horse and the BO letting her.

xhalt63 12-03-2010 12:52 AM

That's my plan- show up with the sherriff... AND my trailer. The BO is buddies with this gal, but I don't know her. they were both walking on eggshells around me at the barn today.
Quote:

Originally Posted by wyominggrandma (Post 838390)
If you haven't given anyone, including the BO owner permission to have someone ride your horse then I would be moving for the first thing and then having a long discussion about who is going to be paying to get your mare back up to her training level.
I just can't imagine the BO giving someone permission to ride another boarders horse without checking with the owner. I know from reading on here that riding someone elses horse in a stable situation seems to be fairly common, but I would be furious if I found someone riding my horse and using my equipment with out permission. Could the horseless lady have told the BO that you gave her permission?
I would at least expect the BO and the lady taking your horse to have your saddle repaired. I would also expect them to pay to have the hours of training lost by an inexperienced rider put back on the horse whether by you or your trainer putting in the time. I don't know if its considered theft since the horse is not leaving the stable grounds, but I am sure that taking and using someone elses property and horse is not okay.
Maybe check with a lawyer and then show up unexpectantly tomorrow during the clinic with the sheriff beside you to explain about taking somebody's horse and equipment to both the lady using the horse and the BO letting her.

Posted via Mobile Device

kmacdougall 12-03-2010 01:28 AM

I would be freaking savage.
Whatever you decide to do/if you have a legal leg to stand on, please let us know how it works out.
Terrible thing to have happen to you, very unprofessional on the part of your BO.

VelvetsAB 12-03-2010 04:55 AM

I would consider this theft. Both the BO and her student are "stealing" from you because they are not paying for you to use YOUR horse.

IMO...you should find out how long this has been going on and get retribution for it. Plus have the saddle paid to be fixed.

franknbeans 12-03-2010 07:04 AM

Wow. Unbelievable. I would be absolutely LIVID! I know how it is to put so much work to get your horse to a certain level-I cannot imagine finding out something like this. Please keep us posted..Good luck!

mbender 12-03-2010 07:05 AM

I'd be furious! I'd do what everyone else said! Oh to be a fly on the wall when that happens! I have so many swear words running through my mind right now! Update us k?
Posted via Mobile Device

MaggiStar 12-03-2010 07:17 AM

Keep us udated on how you get on from reading on here im begining to see this isnt uncommon

Alwaysbehind 12-03-2010 08:30 AM

I would suggest a video camera so you can have proof she was ridden.

If nothing else take them to small claims court to recover for the damaged saddle and the training that is required to get your mare back to the training level she was at.

newowner 12-03-2010 08:35 AM

I agree with everyone I would be furious!!!
I do have a few things that you might think about and they are:
how did you find out about her riding your horse and would the person that told you tell the BO that you are aware of what has been going on? I am assuming that them being on eggshells around you is new... so why now?
If they think you are aware of the situation maybe she might not ride in the clinic today?

Good luck and I hope you find another place for your horse and that the re-training does not take a long time!!!