The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Protective Vest For hunter jumpers (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/protective-vest-hunter-jumpers-72209/)

Sghorselover 12-03-2010 01:57 AM

Protective Vest For hunter jumpers

I have had a couple of bad falls (3 in 2 weeks) recently and I was wondering is it worth looking in to a protective vest (a certified one)?

I am a hunter jumper. No one really wears them, but would i stick out too much wearing one?

Any one you like a lot:-o?:lol::D

Safety is my biggest concern!

VelvetsAB 12-03-2010 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sghorselover (Post 838432)
I have had a couple of bad falls (3 in 2 weeks) recently and I was wondering is it worth looking in to a protective vest (a certified one)?

I am a hunter jumper. No one really wears them, but would i stick out too much wearing one?

One of the girls at my barn rides in a vest every lesson. It is her (parents) decision.

I have seen a few hunters wear one, as well as a few jumpers.

Really....it is your decision in the end if you want to wear one. You will not be marked down in hunters for them.

corporate pride 12-07-2010 08:40 PM

i go out cross country in a vest and if i'm training a young horse that isn't that predicable i bring it with me incase i decide to use it. when i took my young horse out for the first time i only had him 3 weeks and he's never been out with that much going on (and not out with me) so i wore the vest all day when usually i don't.
i got a tipperary which is a little bulky but it's easy to move in and comfortable.
i had seen people use a vest called VIPA i'm not sure but i think it might be australian made, it was designed by a jockey, they are very slimline and could be hidden under clothing if you wish to

Stella 12-08-2010 09:39 PM

I always where a helmet/vest when I ride. I think that yes, if safety is the greatest concern, you should wear one. Just a word of warning though- you get used to them real fast but they feel kind of stiff when you first ride in them. Still, if you have had so many falls in 2 weeks I'm starting to think that your horse might be a bit dangerous and that yeah, a protective vest is probably a good idea.

Hope this helped! :-)

Sghorselover 12-08-2010 09:57 PM

Well at first I was working with a green pony. Rode her 4 times a week then she left and I have been moved around to many different horses. I fell off this week also ;(

Are the Charles Owen vests good?
Posted via Mobile Device

VanillaBean 12-10-2010 05:57 PM

I have to use a jumping vest everytime i jump. I do eventing, and I wear it in Stadium & XC.
I LOVE my Charles Owen. It isnt too stiff, it breathes, it moves with me, easy to put on/take off while mounted, I highly reccomend it!
Good Luck!

Luvs2jump 12-11-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanillaBean (Post 846758)
I have to use a jumping vest everytime i jump. I do eventing, and I wear it in Stadium & XC.
I LOVE my Charles Owen. It isnt too stiff, it breathes, it moves with me, easy to put on/take off while mounted, I highly reccomend it!
Good Luck!

I've got a Charles Owens too and I love it especially for being hard to find one that would fit due to my confo and it's perfect.
I haven't seen too many H/J people wear them and I know there was a thread on here not too long ago about showing in them. I haven't Evented in a few years so I haven't used it and am at a H/J barn but the more I think about it, the more I wanna start using it again.

LindseyHunterx24 12-17-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sghorselover (Post 838432)

I'm a Hunter Jumper and Most of my barn is to. Almost everyone in my barn wears a vest because we cannot risk getting hurt(: The vest I wear is a $200 one and it has saved my life! I fell of a horse and landed on tail bone first and then my back and then my head smacked the ground. If i wasnt wearing that vest I would no be able to ride anymore. I love them(:*When they are fitted right!*

equiniphile 12-18-2010 10:29 PM

Since I jump, my mom wants me to start wearing an eventing vest, so today we drove to the tack store and I bought my Christmas gift; it's an Airowear eventing vest. It was the only certified one they carried, and it was super comfortable--plus it supposedly conforms to your body as it heats up. I paid $239.

I wouldn't go with an Intec, I know a lot of people that have that one but it's not certified. Better than nothing....but not certified.

kitten_Val 12-20-2010 07:06 AM

If you are short on money you can consider Flex Rider (Dover Saddlery | Ladies' Intec Flex-Rider Body Protector .). Frankly I found it as uncomfortable as Charles Owen (both feel like you are packed in cardboard), but at least it's like 2.5 times cheaper. If you have little more to spend I agree with equiniphile - Airoway is amazingly comfortable (Dover Saddlery | Airowear Outlyne Flexible Vest .)