The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   What to do with a thin mane (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/what-do-thin-mane-72246/)

Alycat 12-03-2010 01:41 PM

What to do with a thin mane

My mare's mane is really thin and when it gets to certain length it just looks scraggly and even thinner. I know how to pull a mane but I am not confident enough to do it without the fear of ripping all of her hair out. I know you are never suppose to take scisors to a horses mane but it is just so thin I'd rather go with scisors than pull it and have a bald horse. Are there any other options you guys could suggest or should I just suck it up and attempt to pull it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Aly

myhorsesonador 12-03-2010 01:53 PM

You could always roach it. Then it will grow back thicker. Also NEVER EVER brush the mane. it pulles out the hair making it thiner. Just use a regular body brush and brush the stuff out of it. If you have to use a comb get some thing like show shean ( I dont know if you have that over there)

kpptt2001 12-03-2010 02:07 PM

I try to always go by the rule of 'no scissors' but I must admit, I recently had to pull them out from their dusty cover to do my guy. If you absoutly have to use scissors, make sure that you cut in an upward diagonal position and alternate each cut from left to right, only taking off a very little bit per session. Spread it out and do a little bit on the whole mane one day. Give it a couple days in between to settle and 'study' it, so to speak. Then continue to do a little bit more every few days until you have it at your desired length. It's too easy to go overboard all in one day, that why I say to do it gradually. Once you have it cut to the length you like, you can then pull a few stands from here or there if need be to make it look more natural. Hope this helps! Good luck!

WickedNag 12-03-2010 03:01 PM

Try a thinning scissors instead for a more pulled look. :)

Alycat 12-03-2010 11:12 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate it!

WickedNag- I know this may sound silly but I was just wondering wouldn't thinning scissors make her mane even thinner?

Thanks again!
Aly

WickedNag 12-03-2010 11:28 PM

Just to cut the bottom so it is not cut straight. I hope that makes sense.

Arksly 12-03-2010 11:48 PM

I feel kind of silly. Why shouldn't you use scissors on a horses mane?

WickedNag 12-04-2010 07:05 AM

What you don't want is a straight line at the bottom of the mane. So if you scissor it will be be well uhm straight :) If you use a thinning scissors at the bottom instead it should have a more natural growth look. Hope that makes sense to you

Alycat 12-04-2010 09:04 AM

Alright that makes sense! I thought you meant to use it to cut the whole mane. lol

Thank you for your reply I will definitely try it.
Aly

xXEventerXx 12-04-2010 07:28 PM

i always use scissors at first when the mane is long then i pull it after way easier. IMO

I cant see why you cant use scissors