The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What cinch/girth should I use? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/what-cinch-girth-should-i-use-72254/)

Missdv 12-03-2010 03:16 PM

What cinch/girth should I use?

I was wondering if anyone can give me a clue as to what is the best cinch to use? I have a western saddle and am using a neoprene one right now, but am thinking of changing to a smart cinch (arthritis) because I am not able to get my saddle tight enough on my own. I have just gotten back into riding 1 1/2 yrs ago and always rode bareback before and am kinda new to saddles. My friend says that neoprene are the only good ones to use but the smart cinch comes in different types. I know the one horse I own had sores on her from a former rider using a felt cinch so am leary of them. I have been reading a lot of forums and know a lot of you are extremely knowledgable about these things, so any suggestions or info will be greatly appreciated. I live in Florida and it gets pretty hot here so don't know if that makes a difference.

corinowalk 12-03-2010 03:19 PM

I have a mohair smart cinch and I really love it. It makes things so much easier! They do also make them in neoprene and in felt. If shes been galled before by a cinch, maybe a neoprene would do better for her.

luvs2ride1979 12-03-2010 03:30 PM

I like a natural material, either felt or mohair. Mohair is my favorite though. It's much easier to clean and has some give to it. It's also more breathable. I bought two recently, custom made by a gal in Oklahoma. Very reasonably priced and she'll do color accents for you. She also has roller buckles that make tightening the cinch much easier.
Welcome to Facebook

churumbeque 12-03-2010 04:56 PM

Put some baby powder on your strap and it will slide easier and you should be able to get it tighter.

Missdv 12-03-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corinowalk (Post 839024)
I have a mohair smart cinch and I really love it. It makes things so much easier! They do also make them in neoprene and in felt. If shes been galled before by a cinch, maybe a neoprene would do better for her.

Don't know what galled is, will the mohair make it cooler in summer, I know she sweats bad and will it stay in place, my saddle slips a bit while mounting with the neoprene. I just want her to be comfortable also.

Missdv 12-03-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979 (Post 839043)
I like a natural material, either felt or mohair. Mohair is my favorite though. It's much easier to clean and has some give to it. It's also more breathable. I bought two recently, custom made by a gal in Oklahoma. Very reasonably priced and she'll do color accents for you. She also has roller buckles that make tightening the cinch much easier.
Welcome to Facebook

Do you have info on her, or does she have a site? I may try these mohair ones, maybe she won't sweat as bad. She gets fussy in summer riding but is fine when it cools down, it may be the cinch.

Fifty 12-03-2010 09:38 PM

A professional choice(or classic equine?) mohair cinch is really good, it has roller buckles on it, too, but it has a more improved idea.

trailhorserider 12-03-2010 09:52 PM

Mohair is my absolute favorite. I love the Classic Equine mohair and alpaca cinches.

My friends use neoprene and I hate them. The horses are always smelly and covered in sweat and one horse gets galled from them.

So I say mohair all the way! :-)

smrobs 12-03-2010 10:04 PM

I am another supporter for Mohair. One thing that will help to prevent galls even when your cinch gets older is to wash it frequently. I use the power nozzle on my regular water hose to pressure wash most of the dirt and sweat away once every few days (but I ride a lot of horses every day), you may only need to do it once a month or so.

However, while mohair is great, this is actually my favorite cinch for the moment.
Professional's Choice - Western Products - RCM
It's the only one I have found so far that doesn't wear horrible galls on any of my young horses.

Along the lines of what Churum mentioned about the baby powder on the latigo. You might want to avoid leather latigo straps. They require more care and will often get sticky, making it almost impossible to get your cinch as tight as it needs to be. I will only use the nylon latigos. They last longer, require less care, and are cheaper to replace.

luvs2ride1979 12-03-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missdv (Post 839282)
Do you have info on her, or does she have a site? I may try these mohair ones, maybe she won't sweat as bad. She gets fussy in summer riding but is fine when it cools down, it may be the cinch.

That's her business facebook page. I send her a money order and she mailed me the cinches about a week later! Very good turnaround time. She takes Paypal now, Michelle.