The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   What Gaits does a Tennesee Walker have? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/what-gaits-does-tennesee-walker-have-72280/)

Eclipse295 12-03-2010 09:14 PM

What Gaits does a Tennesee Walker have?

One of my mom's friend has a Tennesee Walker she is gaited and I was wondering what gaits they have. I asked her but she had no clue.

What are the gaits and what are they like? I have never ridden a gaited horse in my life(unless you count a horse continually bucking across the arena gaited)

equiniphile 12-03-2010 09:16 PM

I believe they can perform a flat-footed walk and a running walk. Some can trot also

Guilherme 12-03-2010 09:44 PM

The TWH foundation sire, Allen F1, was either seven or nine gaited, depending upon how you measured them. Some modorn show Walkers today are two gaited (at best).

A good Walker should walk (the regular walk of any horse, sometimes called the "dog walk" to distinguish it from the intermediate gaits); the flat walk and running walk (isochronal four beat gaits); and the canter (same as any other horse).

G.

TheNinja 12-04-2010 08:37 PM

They can all trot. I have never met a single Walker that would not at some point in their life. They also have the normal walk, the flat walk- just a faster walk, the rack/running walk, and the canter. I have also known some Walkers to pace, but it is usually only seen on a down hill slope. If the Walker paces on a flat, it is a gait error and can normally be trained out.

Jennifer49888 12-07-2010 10:40 PM

Yes, TWH can trot or pace. Their natural gaits as one has said above are the dog walk, the flat walk, the running walk and the canter.

tye 12-09-2010 03:53 PM

Hi I have a half-bred twh, who does pace and diagonal trot , a little running walk, normal walk and canter. i find it difficult to get the running walk, but perhaps this is because he is onlly half twh, and it is not easy for him. any tips on training him?

monkeyleap 12-18-2010 09:47 AM

flat walk and running walk, I believe.

RunnWalk 12-20-2010 11:45 AM

A Tennessee Walker can actually perform many gaits. A regular run-of-the-mill walker will perform a walk, flat walk, running walk, canter, and gallop. Others can perform even more than that. Mine will perform a walk, flat walk, running walk, trot, rack, pace, stepping pace, canter, and gallop. It will normally depend on the horse but all walkers are capable of all these gaits, some just aren't trained to.

RunnWalk 12-20-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tye (Post 845506)
Hi I have a half-bred twh, who does pace and diagonal trot , a little running walk, normal walk and canter. i find it difficult to get the running walk, but perhaps this is because he is onlly half twh, and it is not easy for him. any tips on training him?

Slow him down. Walk him on a loose rein for a few days then steadily speed him up. He should go into the running walk. If you want to take the easy way out though, if he mostly trots, gait him downhill and if he mostly paces, gait him uphill. I reccomend that you do the slow walking though.

Suzanne Turner 12-26-2010 08:28 PM

Runnwalk, very informative about all the gaits a TWH can do.