The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   What do you think about mules (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/what-do-you-think-about-mules-72287/)

smokeyblue910 12-03-2010 10:22 PM

What do you think about mules

After meeting "Casey" a mule who bucked his owner off and left his owner with broken ribs. I don't like mules much. So what do you think about mules?

smrobs 12-03-2010 10:27 PM

I don't have anything against them. I grew up with them and they are very sweet and loyal creatures (with the right training) but I have never really be able to understand them the way that I do a horse. I like horses more but I don't dislike mules.

smokeyblue910 12-03-2010 10:36 PM

I'll tell you more why I don't like "Casey" the mule. Well, he rubs his big ears on poles, was tied up to a trailer and kicked the wheel (then got severly hurt and blood was gushing out of his hoove, and desterbs you when you are riding other horses. Now can you see why I disike mules. But you have to admit "Casey" is kinda cute.

sleighr 12-03-2010 10:49 PM

Not liking mules just because you've met what seems to be a poorly trained or tempered one is the equivalent of not liking horses because you've met just one that's hurt someone.

You can't judge an entire breed by just one member of it :/

Personally, I've only ever met a mammoth jack and he was an absolute sweetheart. I actually would like to get one sooner or later (:

Lonestar22 12-03-2010 10:55 PM

I very badly want a mule. I think they are adorable, sweet, smart creatures.

Sleighr - Your avatar is beautiful. Is taht your horse?

sleighr 12-03-2010 10:59 PM

^-^ Yes, that's my J.R. :3 Thankee, I think he's rather pretty mahself xD

Tabbi Kat 12-03-2010 11:01 PM

My family raises and competes with drafty pulling mules:)

smrobs 12-03-2010 11:07 PM

Very cool Tabbi, that is what my experience is too. We used to farm with mule teams and horse-drawn equipment.

Gus 12-04-2010 11:05 AM

agree with smrobs...nothing against them but I don't think I'd want one but they are smart gotta agree on that

FeatheredFeet 12-04-2010 02:02 PM

I don't know who Casey is, but it sounds as though he's not been well handled or trained.

As for rubbing his ears on poles, well I've never yet met a horse who doesn't rub some part of their body on poles/fencing etc. If he does it more than usual, maybe he has an ear problem or ticks in his ears. Has anyone bothered to find out?

I've known a few draft Mules and ridden one quite a bit years ago. She was wonderful to ride.

A well trained Mule, is no different from a well trained horse. Untrained either, can spell disaster.

Lizzie