The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique my riding. (me & fergie) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-my-riding-me-fergie-72346/)

KawaiiCharlie 12-04-2010 04:10 PM

Critique my riding. (me & fergie)

Id like some critique on my riding.
Note - this was my first time riding this pony. she was strong and fast & im used to riding a 16hh horse so i was extremely off balanced lol yes i almost fell off after the jump, she took off really early. I was riding her for a friend, Fergie had been sold as a beginners pony for my friends 10yr old son. as you can tell this pony is far from a beginners pony. she is now for sale.

Fergie:
13.3hh 10 year old bay roan new forest pony.

GCSM16 12-04-2010 11:43 PM

good grief she took off long! You leg is very still and solid on the flat. I couldn't see much of your hands due to the video quality, and the big jacket may be hiding a perfectly straight back (it makes you look hunched, but I think it is because it is poofy).

I've jumped ponies and I find it hard to keep my leg on properly after riding a big horse, so I think you are doing a good job considering the situation she put you in. If this resembles how you always jump I'd recomend staying up out of the saddle long and not sitting on the horse over the fence. However, given your solid lower leg I'd say it was a matter of taking off long and trying to save yourself lol.

KawaiiCharlie 12-04-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCSM16 (Post 840595)
good grief she took off long! You leg is very still and solid on the flat. I couldn't see much of your hands due to the video quality, and the big jacket may be hiding a perfectly straight back (it makes you look hunched, but I think it is because it is poofy).

I've jumped ponies and I find it hard to keep my leg on properly after riding a big horse, so I think you are doing a good job considering the situation she put you in. If this resembles how you always jump I'd recomend staying up out of the saddle long and not sitting on the horse over the fence. However, given your solid lower leg I'd say it was a matter of taking off long and trying to save yourself lol.

oh thank you lol I was expecting some really bad comments I though I rode terribly lol xD I think my position would have been alot better if she had jumped it normally. I'll try to get some more jumping vids soon and I'll upload them :) I'm riding fergie again on monday because she's got someone coming to view her so I'll get her owner to video me again :)
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 12-05-2010 02:59 AM

i think you ride terrifically! REally! I have NO advice on that. Only thought that if you were to ride it more, you might find some times when you can give it a bit more rein and let it relax and reach down, when it has shown a little willingness to come back to your hand.

KawaiiCharlie 12-05-2010 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 840694)
i think you ride terrifically! REally! I have NO advice on that. Only thought that if you were to ride it more, you might find some times when you can give it a bit more rein and let it relax and reach down, when it has shown a little willingness to come back to your hand.

Oh thank you! :D Im riding her again tomorrow hopefully she'll be a little better lol i doubt that though. i rode her on the roads about a week ago with her owner on her other horse & she decided to do a huge buck and take off full gallop down the middle of the road & i couldnt stop her for anything! lucky there wasnt any cars coming at the time. i even got a face full of thorn bushes when she galloped round the corner lol

mapleridgefarm 12-05-2010 07:53 AM

she reminds me of my pony. If someone tries to collect him up to much or be on the bit to hard he gets worked up and bites at the bit and gets fast. id try ridding her on a looser rein and see if that helps a little.

maura 12-05-2010 09:14 AM

That pony has a lot of motor!
Certainly not a beginner pony, but might be a fabulous pony for the right rider. Jumps in terrific form, even from the longish spot. I do wonder how much education the pony has had; as it looked like you were struggling to keep it on the rail and that it was bent to the outside.

I think you did a nice job staying with the pony over the fence and adjusting your balance and position to the smaller animal.

I did notice you were having some difficulty sitting the canter; and that may have contributed somewhat to the pony's speed and generally being up. Agree with tinyliny's comments, above. I find that if you're having trouble sitting the canter, it's often best to canter in half seat or two point until both you and the horse are in a more relaxed frame of mind.

KawaiiCharlie 12-05-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapleridgefarm (Post 840749)
she reminds me of my pony. If someone tries to collect him up to much or be on the bit to hard he gets worked up and bites at the bit and gets fast. id try ridding her on a looser rein and see if that helps a little.

ive tried the whole loose rein thing, she takes off lol down the middle of a road.

KawaiiCharlie 12-05-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maura (Post 840773)
That pony has a lot of motor!
Certainly not a beginner pony, but might be a fabulous pony for the right rider. Jumps in terrific form, even from the longish spot. I do wonder how much education the pony has had; as it looked like you were struggling to keep it on the rail and that it was bent to the outside.

I think you did a nice job staying with the pony over the fence and adjusting your balance and position to the smaller animal.

I did notice you were having some difficulty sitting the canter; and that may have contributed somewhat to the pony's speed and generally being up. Agree with tinyliny's comments, above. I find that if you're having trouble sitting the canter, it's often best to canter in half seat or two point until both you and the horse are in a more relaxed frame of mind.

i dont think shes got much education to be honest, she was bought from a dealer. & yeah, she has a really bouncy and fast canter and i found it difficult to sit to since im used to riding my 16hh tb lol