The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Swollen Left Front Leg (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/swollen-left-front-leg-72355/)

ilovepavani 12-04-2010 05:36 PM

Swollen Left Front Leg

Hi everyone,

My horse cut himself out in pasture about three days ago. He cut his left front leg, above four inches above the knee. It wasn't a serious cut. It was a fine cut, about two inches long. His leg seemed fine, but I went to check on him today, and the part between the knee and the fetlock is swollen. He is not lame at all, but it is swollen. It doesn't seem to bother him as I can touch it and he doesn't care. I gave him some bute and I hosed it with cold water. Is there anything else I should do? Or should I just keep doing the cold water treatment?

Thank you

xXEventerXx 12-04-2010 07:32 PM

personally id hose it then wrap it, but i dont know what it looks like ect...

Shimla101 12-04-2010 09:59 PM

You could probably put on an anti-septic cream of some sort. The swelling is either from a bit of infection, or from bruising. I'm leaning more toward infection though. The hosing is a good idea, but when you're finished with that, use an anti-bacterial scrub to wash the wound itself, making sure to get out any bits of dirt, then put an anti-septic cream of some sort on.

mom2pride 12-04-2010 10:18 PM

Do you have pics? It doesn't sound like it's in the area of the wound itself, so it may just be fluid build up from him standing around (stocking up), but it could very well be infection too, but I would want to see pics of the wound and the swelling to determine that. Better yet, if you are overly concerned, give a call to the vet, and have him take a look...better safe than sorry!!

ilovepavani 12-05-2010 10:22 PM

Thank you everyone! I checked on him today and the swelling has gone down a bit. We have been thoroughly cleansing the cut and putting some sort of anti-septic, anti-bacterial cream on it. It doesn't seem to bother him at all. Hopefully tomorrow his leg will be back to normal.