The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Real sports bra for riding post cancer reconstructive surgury (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/real-sports-bra-riding-post-cancer-72391/)

Opendoorequine 12-05-2010 11:02 AM

Real sports bra for riding post cancer reconstructive surgury

I was wondering if anyone here might know of a good sports bra that was actually designed for truly athletic women who actually do real sports like riding horses. (I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is frustrated with clothing manufacturers.)

I have a client who survived breast cancer, got reconstructive surgery, and has tried many "sports bras" that left her in pain for 3 days after riding. Someone must havd had this experience here who has been though this and know a good SB that actually works.

Thank you for suggestions, leads and ideas.

BigGreyHorse 12-05-2010 11:18 AM

Not manufactured for this specifically, but what I did was buy an Enell just a little bigger than recommended. I like the fact the design has a "chest protector" quality to it. Made my surgeon happy as well.

Citrus 12-05-2010 11:49 AM

How long ago did she have the surgery? And did they take all the lymph nodes? Lots of inneravation in that area.... I would try a physical therapy supply store....Mastectomy Sports Bra, Activity, Breast Cancer, Lumpectomy

This place has lots of good ones... the only thing is she would not be able to try them out....

Opendoorequine 12-05-2010 12:12 PM

Super ladies, thank you for sharing! I will send those suggestions along. I don't know how long ago the surgery was or the details. I will ask her next time I see her in person.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

faye 12-05-2010 02:12 PM

I use the shock absorbers. This is my scaffolding as I have a HUGE bust. I buy them one size smaller in the cup (reccomended by my fitter) then my normal size and honestly you don't move at all. Go for the Level 4's for maximum support.
Shock Absorber : Support Level 4
Make sure she gets it fitted properly by a good fitter, some fitters are absolutly useless

masatisan 12-06-2010 10:19 PM

I wear a compression shirt (aka binder). I wear it every day as it is far stronger than any sports bra I have had and (in my opinion) much more comfortable. Only thing is they're meant to make the chest flat, I'm not bothered by it (in fact, that's why I wear it) but others might take issue.

Supermane 12-06-2010 10:51 PM

I have the Under Armour Endure sports bra, which are their high impact ones. It's really comfy and works great. Though, I'm pretty high chested, so I'm not sure how it would fit on someone that's taller.
High-Impact Sports Bras, Extra Support Athletic Bras | Under ArmourŪ

Oh, and it can be hard to get off sometimes... especially if you're a little sweaty.

Amarea 12-06-2010 11:27 PM

I personally think Champion makes some GREAT ones! I wrote a review on the ones that I bought. Here's the post for ya!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarea (Post 737309)
Ok, so after almost getting a black eye (or 2) while riding Porkchop through all of her attitude issues the other night, I sucked it up and bought a few Champion bras. Here's my take on them.

1: Champion Powerback Underwire Sports Bra | Champion

I found this one for $10 on TeamExpress.com so I figured what the heck. I got it today and tried it on. Does take a bit of work to actually get it on as it is a cross between a racerback and a normal bra with the eye hooks. Getting it off... well... yeah. If you are single or live alone or DON'T intend on living in it, I'd suggest another one. I actually bought a size LARGER than what I needed as it was all they had in stock and I still got STUCK! It fits SOOO snugly that you can't maneuver it to get your arm pulled back in. Took 5 minutes of me wrestling with it to get it off but it wasn't without practically dislocating my shoulder and punching myself in the face when it suddenly came loose. As for tata movement, it was nonexistant. I was jumping up and down in my kitchen and only got a smidge of movement.

2. Champion Double Dry Full-Support Underwire Sports Bra | Champion

This one is easier to get on and off and I love how the straps sit higher on the shoulder and don't slide off. It kept the girls where they should be but when I jumped, there was more obvious movement than with the first.

3. Champion Shape Scoop-Back Full-Figure Underwire Sports Bra | Champion

This one is by far my favorite and the one I wear the most. It is comfortable enough for every day wear. Movement is very minimal and the straps stay put VERY well. I really love this one a lot.

If you are looking for ZERO movement, go with the racerback one I posted. That thing made my size D's look like A's.

faye 12-07-2010 06:42 AM

Underwired sports bras are dangerous to use whilst riding!

I have had one and in a fall the underwire was compressed, it came out through the side of the bra and stabbed into my boobs. luckily it didnt go further but I will NEVER wear an underwire whilst riding a horse again.

I'm a H cup (and it is all natural!) and I wear a G cup sports bra and I don't move, believe me I've cycled through just about every sports bra on the market trying to find the best and I have to say the shockabsorbers are the best I have found.

Amarea 12-07-2010 08:56 AM

I'm sorry for your accident Faye! I personally have not fallen but I have been with friends who were wearing these exact bras and were not injured in a fall. I personally get no support from one without the wire.