The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fun ways to style/braid your horse's mane?

26K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Ktibb 
#1 ·
One thing that has me so excited about leasing Major is that he has a nice mane that I can play with... which will be easier to braid, come show season. :)

I never really did braid Maggie's mane too much, seeing as it was thin and short (though it got better towards the end of our lease, since we were treating it with M-T-G).

Yesterday, I tried what I think is called spanish braiding? I didn't make it go all the way down the mane, it basically just looked like many medium sized french braids. I'll probably try doing the whole mane another time.

But I'm curious if anyone knows some really fun ways to style your horse's mane?

This new little hobby should hopefully teach Major to learn to stand still... he's still green, so he doesn't quite understand everything yet. :P

#2 ·
there are alot of styles you can do. button braids are cool. standard braids. watever color your horses mane is use a bright contrasting yarn or string to do it or rubber bands if you do it that way just to add some color. for holliday shows you can find beads like a 4 leaf clover for st pats day, santa or xmas tree for xmas pumkin or ghost for holloween and so on and so on and add a bead to one of the braids. scallop braids if your horses mane is a little longer you can add white tape to the braids you see this in alot of dressage shows. just let your imagination play!! i did once with my paint a rainbow theme for a summer show. each braid had diff color string and had a rainbow beed. its really whatever you can think up just be creative.

#4 ·
My friend and I loove scalloped braids!
And they're super easy ;)
(google image)

Just braid the mane in 1-2" braids all down the neck. then simply loop them under the 2nd braid over (like, you're skipping under one braid and using the next one) and secure with yarn or a band!

#5 ·
I like running braids, and diamond braids as shown above. There are lots of youtube videos on braiding. Running braids can be tricky to keep even if your horse tends to move thier head up and down, so it may take a few attempts before you get it straight, but it's pretty easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.