The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Prolonged Swelling of the hock??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/prolonged-swelling-hock-72544/)

ReRe7831 12-07-2010 12:43 AM

Prolonged Swelling of the hock???

So i have a 6 yr old POA mare,, and i left on a family trip for 2 weeks, and when i came home, i get an email from my trainer, saying she brought Zoe (my mare) up from pasture because she had seen her limping in the pasture. she had extreme swelling of her hock, and had some blood poisioning and it took about a month and 1/2 for that to clear up. I was able to ride her once bareback when the swelling came back, and again, very severe. it has slightly gotten better, but its kinda at a standstill. i really need some advice!!! i was hoping to use this mare for show this year, but it looks like i have to use my 4 yr old instead, due to the fact that Zoe wont be ready by the time the season starts. Please help!!!!!!!

AlexS 12-07-2010 12:45 AM

Do you have any idea what caused the swelling were their any marks or sign of injury?

~*~anebel~*~ 12-07-2010 12:51 AM

There was just an article about this in some magazine or another. Ends up the horse had a tiny puncture wound that entered the joint capsule. This ended up getting infected, etc, etc and the horse nearly died. I personally know of another mare who same thing, had a big hock, there was a tiny, tiny puncture wound entering the joint capsule which got infected. However, she was not as lucky and had to be euthanized as her digestion system and liver had both began to fail from all the infection in her body.

Call the vet.

ReRe7831 12-07-2010 12:59 AM

we have had the vet out multiple times, and ALOT of money has been spent on this pony already... during the first swelling she had a small scrape on the inside of her hock, but it was superficial and went away within a couple weeks. :\ im really hoping this isnt the end of her career, or worse. thanks :)

AlexS 12-07-2010 01:32 AM

Can you try a different vet? Not critizing your vet. heck I don't know anything about him, but sometimes a second opinion can be helpful.

ReRe7831 01-02-2011 11:48 PM

We had a second vet out, (vets are a bit limited in this area :P ) and the second vet said that we did everything we could've, keeping her rested, wrapping and so forth, but we still dont know what it is, but the guess is a staff infection...... :\

ReRe7831 01-09-2011 11:24 PM

Well good news is, we found the original puncture wound :) its now draining, and the hock is finally going down in the swelling drastically each day :)) took it long enough, but it is :))